Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

poppasmurf

Pencil Nebula

16 posts in this topic

Latest WIP project image, NGC 2736 (Pencil Nebula), so far I have collected  2 hrs  of each channel. Here's a quick throw together to see how it's coming along. I will collect more data as time permits, looking for around 10 hrs total for RGB, and maybe 10 or more hrs of Luminance.

I may even start from scratch on this one, as I have a reducer on its way for a slightly larger FoV, but we'll see.

Usual kit, GSO RC8, belt modded NEQ6, Moravian G2 2000. All processing done in PI.

I quite like the colours in this nebula, I find them to be rather striking.

C & C welcome people.

Shane

NGC_2736_RGB_Final.jpg

2 people like this

Beautiful wispy detail already resolved Shane. And I must have been on another planet. When did you get the GSO RC8?

Ray

1 person likes this

That is very nice with fairly short data!
Greg

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Radar said:

Beautiful wispy detail already resolved Shane. And I must have been on another planet. When did you get the GSO RC8?

Ray

Thanks mate. LOL :huh: I have had the RC for several years now, if memory serves, something like 7 years.

6 hours ago, wingeing Pom said:

That is very nice with fairly short data!
Greg

Thanks Greg, I have been able get a max of 10 min guided subs out of the NEQ6 since the belt mod. Previously guided subs maxed out at 4.5 to 5 min before noticeable elongation of stars. I still get a bit of field rotation depending on where I'm imaging, but that is to be expected. Also there is some curvature in the corners of my images I believe, but I can live with that at the moment.

Shane

Shane

Nice one Shane. Colour and detail look good. Definitely a keeper. 

Dan.

More data added to previous data for approx 11 hrs total, with a quick throw together (really not happy with it yet). I used a synthetic Luminance for this but I think I will aquire some proper Lum and more RGB as well.

Shane

LRGB.jpg

Apart from the noise through there its looking pretty good mate.

Ray

2 people like this

Here is the final, after collecting the remaining data last night. A total of 25 hrs integration time, 12.5 of the RGB, and 12.5 for Luminance, 25 x 10min each of R,G,B, with a synthetic Luminance made from the 75 raw RGB frames. 

Shane

NGC2736LRGB.jpg

And the RGB version. No Luminance added, not sure which I actually prefer, although the LRGB version appears a lot smoother.

Shane

NGC2736RGB.jpg

Yeah its a tough one with Luminance. I noticed that in some of my photos adding a luminance channel doesn't make that much of a difference if any. If you are binning 1x1 for lum and 2x2 for RGB then Lum should certainly reduce the background noise.

Ray

I only shoot 1x1 binning Ray for RGB, I haven't actually taken any L for this image. I used the grayscale RGB (1x1 binned) as a "Synthetic L".

Shane

That came out really well - the integration time paid off :)

Greg

1 person likes this

Thanks Greg, I follow Warren Kellers' law of diminishing returns and only use the 30 best subs for integration. Those were 10 min subs, but I have now been able to push that out to 15 min on the EQ6, which i believe is awesome for a budget mount. So far the subs for my next target are looking great, I have collected 40 odd red channel subs to pick the best 30 from.

Shane

Shane