wingeing Pom

Dusty Taurus again

Beautiful image and composition. Any ideas as to where the noise is coming from. Looks mostly to be chromatic noise to me. Is it in the raw images? Introduced some new electronics close to the cameras? May I have permission to process just this jpg image from here?

Eric

4 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

Beautiful image and composition. Any ideas as to where the noise is coming from. Looks mostly to be chromatic noise to me. Is it in the raw images? Introduced some new electronics close to the cameras? May I have permission to process just this jpg image from here?

Eric

Great work Greg. Eric the noise looks like the red channel on my screen. However with a photo like this I'm not even sure if it is noise. 

Ray

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Great work Greg. Eric the noise looks like the red channel on my screen. However with a photo like this I'm not even sure if it is noise. 

Ray

I agree that it looks to be mostly in the red. I don't remember if these are OSC cameras or mono with filters?

JJ

Cheers guys.

It turned out WAY noisier than I was expecting that's for sure.  42 x 20 minutes should look pretty good, so I don't really know.

One of the cameras may be going down?  Dew I didn't notice on the lens (although I did put the hairdryer over twice)??

Really not sure on this one.

If it was dew I would expect halos around the bright stars, which I didn't get.

Moon was up for the first 2 hours - could possibly be that - but I looked through a lot of the subs and didn't notice anything - maybe I'll take another look today.

Greg

Actually that looks WAY noisier on here than it did on my monitor when I posted didn't even notice that huge red blotch on the right.

Sure you can process the image Eric - if you want me to post a higher resolution just say :)

I find this very hard to believe - but on the dog walk this morning a possible reason for the noise came to me.  Just reprocessed and yes - that is the answer.  So after 12 years at this game I am still learning (the hard way).  Will post up the answer shortly.

Greg

The noise in this image is due mostly to the Moon!  This is surprising as it was not large and nowhere near the imaging area.  But using only the last 24 subs (out of the 42 taken) the noise was actually less.  I should have realised this from an earlier Pazmino's Cluster result which I also took a lot of deep Sky 90 data on which also turned out far noisier than expected (due to the Moon).

This rather hamstrings me in the work I can do and makes those rare clear Moonless nights even more valuable.

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wingeing Pom said:

I find this very hard to believe - but on the dog walk this morning a possible reason for the noise came to me.  Just reprocessed and yes - that is the answer.  So after 12 years at this game I am still learning (the hard way).  Will post up the answer shortly.

Greg

An Epiphany. Good to hear that you figured it out. To bad it has such an effect on your windows of opportunity. Looking forward to the re-process.

Eric

Here is a quick reprocess of the last 24 subs.  Less noise overall but also of course less apparently deep :(  Need to get a lot more Moon-free data on this one.

SAO76540_24subs_20mins.jpg

• Like 2