Radar

NGC3576 Statue of Liberty

15 hour total exposure time. Ha, SII, OIII, Lum @ 225 mins each. Its very hard to get round stars across the entire field with the C14 I think. Some stars will be perfect circles whilst other areas will suffer.  I'm still learning a lot about the processing side of things. Focus has drifted slightly throughout some of this rendition, however I'll solve that in the coming weeks. I've used PI and PS for processing. Group2-LRGB-003.jpg

Ignore the noise at the bottom, I haven't cropped that off. My sentiments on this effort is that my data acquisition is improving but there is room for better guiding and focusing.

There is an Evaporative Gaseous Globule (tiny black dot) collapsing and about to start nuclear fusion bottom of centre. Stellar Nursery in action. 

Comments / feedback welcome as always.

Ray 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wingeing Pom said:

Round stars across the whole field of a C14 are not an issue - provided the scope is properly collimated :)

Greg

I'm thinking it could be the side flop stoppers that put pressure on the side of the mirror. Collimation should have been bang on. I'll check tonight and see how it is.

Ray

It takes a LOT of pressure on the side of a mirror to do that - but maybe you do have a lot of force?

I have seen anti-mirror flop arrangements that press a large rubber pad up against the side of the mirror - that should cause zero deformation.

Collimation is only bang on if CCDInspector gives you the magic 0, 0, 0, 0

Greg

On 04/01/2017 at 7:54 PM, wingeing Pom said:

It takes a LOT of pressure on the side of a mirror to do that - but maybe you do have a lot of force?

I have seen anti-mirror flop arrangements that press a large rubber pad up against the side of the mirror - that should cause zero deformation.

Collimation is only bang on if CCDInspector gives you the magic 0, 0, 0, 0

Hi Mate, interestingly when I did the mod and finger tightened the plastic screws my stars became triangles. Even though the deformation on the mirror is tiny maybe the focal length exagerates it. I loosened the screws but kept them still pressed up against the side of the mirror the triangles went. Maybe on a particular angle when the gravity pulls the mirror against the screw it has this effect. I may try the large rubber pad system and see how that goes, however putting those three screws on the side of the mirror has made a huge improvement. 

I'll check CCD Inspector before my next imaging run. 

Regards

Ray

I revisited this data tonight with some new processing ideas. Much better result than the first I believe. This is a low res jpeg. I haven't added the luminance yet. 

NGC3576.JPG

Probably needs more noise reduction.

Ray

• Like 2

Great object to image. So much going on. Doing a good job holding that beast of a scope on target. Looks good to me. 

Dan