Chunk

Tarantula

Hi all,

Been a long time. New hobby of fatherhood has been consuming. But anyway...trying to get back into it. Here's my first attempt for ages.

I've discovered a few issues. My memory for starters. Plus a bit of focal tilt. Got some time off work to sort out though.

Sorry - Not sure how to upload a better quality pic either. What's the max file size again? My original sizes are approx. 350,000 KB.

NGC-2070.jpg

Talk soon,

Dan.

• Like 4

Beautiful color. Stars look sharp. If that's first light after an imaging drought you have done very well. Happy New Year buddy!

Brent.

Congrats on fatherhood Dan. I've got a 6 and 8 year old and it certainly did interfere (not so much these days) with AP, but its well worth it.

There are no file size limits on the forums. Some images which exceed a specific size are automatically resized but not compressed, so the quality remains the same. Your image has not been resized. Your image size is 4536 x 3389 pixels which is very large. The file size is over 6 megs (pretty big and maybe hard for some on slow connections or mobile devices to view). Incidentally what camera are you using, that is an awesome chip size? 

Its a great image to be warming up with. Looks like a faint galaxy on the far right hand side as well (to the right of the main cluster). Core of the primary nebula is also well resolved. I take it you used different exposure times?

Ray

Glad to see you back stranger. Great comeback shot. What breed of filters are you using Dan?

Ray thats a QHY with the  8300 chip from memory.

Shane

Thanks all.

Correct mate - QHY9 mono. I'm using Astronomik filters now too.  

6 x 10min L, 3 x 10min R, G, B & Ha. Darks & Bias frames used. No light/flats.

I added/blended a bit of Ha to both the L and R channels plus a mask for the central core to resolve it. Still using Nebulosity to capture, DSS to stack and processing in PS.

I imaged last night to confirm I have to mess around with a tilt issue. i.e. tighten the camera housing screws one at a time between images and try to get level. There are 3 screws. A necessary time consuming task. The weather is good, so I'll give the mosquitoes a feed tonight and have a crack at it.

Dan

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chunk said:

The weather is good, so I'll give the mosquitoes a feed tonight and have a crack at it.

To bad one has to "pay in blood" for beautiful images! Wonderful shot Dan.

Eric

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chunk said:

The weather is good, so I'll give the mosquitoes a feed tonight and have a crack at it.

Was thinking I'll get out tonight too mate, "if" the wind stays calm like it is right now.