Radar

Twisting Pillar Inside The Rose

Narrowband Image of dust pillars inside the Rosette. Total exposure time 9 hours, Ha, SII and OIII @ 3hr each. Noise removal in PixInsight, colour balance and layer merging in photoshop (haven't got that far with PI yet). Image still needs to be sharpened and stars also need some attention, I'll work through these over the next couple of nights. This is about half the size of the chip at 2x2 binning, so I'm getting some good printable pics for my wall, not to mention good image scale (the C14 goes deep). Worth doing a quick comparison. Click here for a random pic of the Rosette on Google, my C14 FOV only captures what is below, you can see the image scale of the pillars in that photo on Google. So the C14 is resolving great detail IMO. 

NB_Stack_No_Lum_ABE.jpg

However at this focal length, everything from guiding, collimation, wind, focus is torturous. 

Comments feedback welcome. Anyone know how to sharpen stars in PI please? Cough, Erhem, Shane, erhem, Cough. 

Ray

• Like 5

Nice work Ray, hmm sharpening in PI. Perhaps deconvolution and?or HDR? I'll look into it if time permits later today mate.

Shane

Ray

Sorry to be negative but I don't think sharpening the stars is going to help you much.  In my experience good data leads to good images and you have a problem with focus.  Just sharpening significantly out of focus stars usually winds up looking worse so I think you have to address why you are out of focus in the first place.  Do you use an autofocus routine (Focusmax, Robofocus) or do you just eyeball the focus?  To reiterate, it's virtually impossible to manufacture a good image out of bad data and believe me, I've tried.

On the plus side everything else (colour, contrast, etc) looks pretty good.

Cheers

Steve

G'day Steve,

Appreciate your feedback mate. I eyeball focus and collimation at the moment, but I feel I need to collimate for large movements of the telescope (until I get the mirror locked against flopped better). I've also bought an adapter so that my computer can do the focusing, but I'm yet to set it up (was overwhelmed with Uni, but now I'm finished exams and ready to jump in and spend some serious time getting all this sorted). Apart from these niggly problems I feel I'm close to where I want to be. I love shooting at this focal length but it can be demanding. 

Ray