Eric Mjolnir

Orion's Belt Nebulas:Teardrop Nebula IC423 ,IC424, & IC426 11-05-2016

Spent a little time last night with some off the beaten path objects. Trying out the AT72ED with the new AT2FF. This is only third light with this instrument and I have had it for over a year now! (Freaking weather!) 21 images of 3 minutes each @ ISO 800 with Canon T3i. Captured with APT. Guided with PHD 2.6.1. 2 X Drizzle with DSS 3.3.6. PS Elements 14.

Bottom left is Alnilam, Bottom right Mintaka. Between them is the teardrop Nebula IC 423 and slightly up to the right from it is IC 424 and further up to the left IC 426. Lots of nebulosity in this region also.

30783162206_9eca4a388d_b.jpg

And the Wide Field Version

30739715831_faa20ae6bc_b.jpg

Eric

Hi Eric,

Lovely little scope that mate. Those blue wispy bits, plus being near Orion must mean that these objects are near the Witchhead nebula. I haven't peaked at Google but that purple blue is synonymous with the Witchhead region. Okay I just had a Google and it is. Great catch mate. I wonder if those gaseous globules will coalesce under gravity to form new stars. 

Incidentally, what is your skyglow like?

Ray

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Radar said:

Hi Eric,

Lovely little scope that mate. Those blue wispy bits, plus being near Orion must mean that these objects are near the Witchhead nebula. I haven't peaked at Google but that purple blue is synonymous with the Witchhead region. Okay I just had a Google and it is. Great catch mate. I wonder if those gaseous globules will coalesce under gravity to form new stars. 

Incidentally, what is your skyglow like?

Ray

Sky glow was fairly bad. Quarter Moon to the west and harvest season puts a lot of fine dust into the atmosphere.

Eric