poppasmurf

playing with PixInsight

I have had a quick play with one of my olders images, all I can say is WOW I need to become proficient using PI if my playing around is any indication of the power of this software. 

Here is the result of running my first ever image with a ccd through PI and the obvious improvement.

This is my original processing effort some time ago.

Master-LRGB1.jpg

• Like 1

The stars have been sharpened right up without the introduction of noise. That is my first observation. Filaments seem to be better resolved as well. Keep us posted of any tips and tricks you learn. 

Ray

• Like 1

That's interesting Ray, the difference you noticed, as all I did with that was take the original processed and stacked colour image and ran the colour calibration routine. I intend to have a go at processing, stacking and combining from the raw data set to see how different it is. I actually expect huge improvement if the colour correction is any indication. will keep you posted mate and put the results in this thread when I get it done.

Shane

Here is a crib sheet I found on CN for Image Processing Steps In Order, I haven't actually tried it yet but intend to when time permits to see if this workflow suits me.

Shane

PI flow sheet.docx

Tried to upload a PDF version but apparently its too big even when zipped

• Like 1

What did you resize it to mate, the physical size is pretty small, the memory size can be very big these days. 

Ray

Cant remember of the top of my head mate but I think it was something stupid like 300 x 200 just to get it small enough to upload. For some reason lately everything I try to upload  I get a message saying it's too big max file size 102kb. With this particular image I don't understand what has changed size wise from the original.

On another note PI is definately completely different workflow etc to what I have used in the past, still trying to get my head around a flow that works for me with the least effort for result.

Shane

That's a lot of tuts mate. Thanks for posting.I'll be chewing through those this weekend. I"ll put a couple in here as well. 

Ray

• Like 1

Just to add more PI info, I have purchased the eBook version (in pdf format) of Warren Kellers' book "inside PixInsight" from the Springer website, cost roughly $39AU which IMHO is $ well spent. I chose to go this way instead of the printed version as I will be able to scale the size for easier reading. So far I have found the book to be an excellent source of information for using the different aspects of PI, I highly recommend it for anyone starting out with this awesome piece of software. (THIS MEANS "YOU" RAY:P). There is a lot to digest but you can look up things of interest when needed.

Shane

Hi Mate,

I started with PI last night. I also know Warren on FB. I've noticed his adverts for a PI instruction book. I'll get onto it. My first missions with PI once I've got the basics will be background noise removal, star halos and maybe star roundness. Also teasing out super faint nebulosity against my light polluted skies will be another important tool I'll have to learn. 

Ray

• Like 1

I've been doing some work alongside PI tutorials. Wow! Powerful software. Can't wait to get more literate with it. So much to absorb. It is something that I would forget quickly if I didn't use it all the time. I'm enjoying the learning curve at the moment though. 

Ray

• Like 1

Yep you're right about the forget if not used comment Ray, I have already found that I need to keep using tutes and Warrens' book as reference at the moment. I believe it will take me some time but eventually I'll get proficient enough to not need reference material. I should have most of today to study and practice as my daughters are have a baby shower here.

The learning curve is fun, it's amazing when you process an image and compare it to the previous best effort how much better it seems to come out. Keep at it mate and soon I'll have to call you Professor PixInsight. ;)

Shane

• Like 1

Found another great PI resource, Jim Morse (http://www.jimmorse-astronomy.com/), he is very active on the PI forum. If you go to his site, you can contact him via email requesting the latest version(now up to rev 41 and around 70 pages) which he will email directly to you you, in my case within 48 hrs, and put you on his mailing list for future revisions. A great, and very handy read alongside Warren Kellers book (Inside PixInsight) for those like me that are newbs. No doubt more experienced users will also get some good info and techniques.

Shane

After conversing with Jim via email he has given permission to share the crib sheet here directly. Enjoy.

Also I have spent today reading "Inside Pixinsight" by Warren Keller, a very in depth and descriptive read on most processes in PI. Highly recommended. When I finish the book I believe I will take up the monthly subscription of AP4IP on Warrens webpage 

https://ip4ap.worldsecuresystems.com/index.htm

Shane

PI Cribsheet Rev 41.doc

I'll get both of these. I get windows of ten minutes here, 15 minutes there to process. Wish I had a week off to absorb it all at once. I believe that getting very literate with the processing is one of the final major hurdles. 

Ray

• Like 1