Can I get some feedback from anyone about windows 10 for astronomy? Are there any known issues for ASCOM or astronomy software or anything?

Brent

I'm still using Windows 7 mate. I'll tag this to my Facebook page and see who else can chime in. 

Ray

• Like 2

I'm still using 7 but I have read some early problems with drivers for different things but was fixed by rolling back drivers to win 7 or 8, I believe it's fine now.

Shane

Got a response from the professor as well. It may be a cable issue but his PC stopped talking to his mount the other day. Could be Win 10 or something else. Jury is still out, however Shane seems to be confident. 

Ray

I can confirm that Windows 10 is no problem at all for all the astro software I run :)

But it might be interesting to you guys to know about this "glitch" I have just discovered.

I run about 10 computers on my network - and at the moment I get the Router to dish out all the IP addresses.  I have been off the Internet for a while and obviously the IP addresses "got lost".  This seems to cause Maxim DL some grief when it comes to working with things like FocusMax and the "Observatory" "Telescope" connections.  So yes - my next job is to give everything a permanent IP address.

Greg

• Like 1

On 9/12/2016 at 10:51 AM, Astro_Pool said:

10 computers is a lot of computing power. All configured for your MWA I imagine? That is a mission in itself. :)

Dave

Hi Dave - I have 5 computers in the MiniWASP observatory, 1 computer in the Hyperstar III observatory, and 4 desktops indoors.  I have an unknown number of laptops and notebooks - in fact I gave away a laptop to Tom How (the guy who built my dome rotator and Canon 200mm prime lens focusers) as it simply wasn't getting used.

Greg