Welcome to My Astro Space Astronomy - MASA

Use the Facebook button to login with your Facebook cookie, how easy is that? Or register a standard account. 

Note you can hotlink any thread you make here direct to your Facebook timeline by hitting the Facebook button under your post (you can also hotlink direct to Twitter, Google, etc as well). So if you are an avid Facebook poster, there is no need to post content twice if you are posting it here first.  

Promote Yourself From Lurker to a Member Today And Join MASA :P 

This message will self destruct once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Radar

C14 Mirror Modification Mod

5 posts in this topic

I am thinking about tinkering with death. Actually, its not that bad, but I'm thinking about pulling apart my C14, and building some type of bracket that holds and fixes the primary mirror in position permanently, getting rid of the in built focusing system and simply using a crayford style focuser to handle focusing. I think this would remove any mirror flop. At the moment, I don't get much mirror flop, but when I do its enough to ruin collimation, ruin an accurate computer pointing model and if it happens during an exposure can cause poor stars and the edges of subs to all be different. 

I know the mirror already has screw holes in the back of it, I already have flop stoppers which actually work okay, but it could be better. Not sure if anyone has any comments or suggestions about this. I don't envision the mod would be overwhelming difficult. 

Ray

There's quite a number of articles out there (I looked into this years ago) about how to either clamp the mirror - or better still - provide a bit of stiction between the outer edge of the mirror and the OTA.  With the stiction method you can focus and it doesn't tend to flop.

Greg

Cheers Greg. Cheers Dave. I got the exact same advice from FB the other day. I hadn't thought of it. I'll try and do this early next week and document my results. 

Ray

1 person likes this