Take a quick look against the names against each topic on this site.

Are there really only 5 contributing visitors to My Astro Space Astronomy?????

Greg

i noticed this  a while ago Greg, it seems people have either left the community to go elsewhere or have just left all together.

Shane

• Like 1

Most, (I think) are feeding their egos on FB.  Almost no one explains the images they post, people who know absolutley nothing about what they are looking at are 'ooohing and awwing' their pics like they work for NASA.

Everyone's an expert, noone offers suggestions to the poster on how to make their images better, details are non-existent on what they did /used, I could go on and on with my personal OP, but somehow it seems counter productive.

I like this site, (the much needed remodel especially.)  I like the current 'active' members and I will continue to post, comment/contribute and be an occasional pain in the arse.

I get around to several other 'genuine' astronomy forums, (mostly lurking)  but I've also noticed a fall off in posts in general (by date/time etc.) nearly everywhere.

Tim.

• Like 3

Rather than being counter productive - I think your observations are good ones Tim.

Now a main reason I think FB is doing so well with astrophotos is because people DO ooh and ahh at our images.  We all like positive feedback.  And although I do (at least) get feedback on this site - for which I am grateful - I do notice that on another (U.K.) site that I have all but quit, the feedback has gone to zero on most people's images (including mine).  Now when you are getting several hundred looks at your image and not one single comment you do have to ask yourself - why am I bothering with this?  I am not sure why there is a different mentality/approach by what are effectively the same groups of people on dedicated astroimaging sites and FB, but the difference is there - and it's huge.  If a dedicated site could somehow replicate the FB "effect" (whatever that is) it would be great for all of us.

Greg

• Like 2

I actually prefer to have a few constructive comments on anything I post otherwise how am I to improve, even if it is only for personal pleasure, so the "few gentlemen" (cough cough) that still frequent here are a blessing to me, when we have people of the calibre of Greg, Tim, and Ray to help in our endeavors. I still post occasional pics on "fakebook" but that is mainly for friends that dont look at astro forums more than looking for the oohs and aahhs, as I am aware of where my standard lies at the moment and where I would like my standard to be.

Keep up the good work gents.

dreaming of clear skies 

Shane

• Like 1

Yeah Facebook has taken a lot of people away from the traditional forums but the Facebook postings are not technical, as Tim said, more ooh and ahh. I do have a monthly mailout that I want to do with this site as well, the mailouts do work (we do have some good members that will come back once I start doing that again). 

I am currently in Indonesia for 10 days, very hot and humid here, but very beautiful. I'll have to post some pics soon.

Ray  

• Like 1