poppasmurf

Moravian G2 2000FW

:D:D:D:D:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Well my new baby has arrived. To start I'll just do an out of the box review as it will be a few weeks till I can get this beastie on the scope.

First I would like to say that the help, advice, and service from Steve at AstroShop.com.au has been excellent every time i rang with another question.

The packaging was exceptional with no way, other than dropping a very heavy item on it, to damage the contents, Auspost had obviously been a bit rough as the outer box was very slightly squashed in a couple of places. When I removed the first box with foam corner inserts the next box and the Baader LRGB filter set was completely undamaged to my great relief. The case containing the camera was wrapped in bubblewrap as was everything inside the case.

Having never handled such a piece of kit before I was immediately impressed with Moravian build quality, the all alloy black anodised body of the camera seems very robust as does the supplied fitted foam lined case. I was aware of the weight of the camera at 1.15 kg, for the filter wheel variant, but to hold it in my hand, it just felt like it was built like a tank without being overly heavy.

At this point all I can really say is first impressions with this camera are great, and I can't wait to get into using it and seeing what sort of images I can produce. Let the journey to the dark side begin ;).

As soon as I get to use it I will add to the review the ease of use, or lack of, of the supplied software etc. Although I have had a play with the software combining and processing with some LRGB files from Joe Misti, we'll see how it performs with my own images when I can. I'll finish up, for now, with a few pics of the unboxing.

DSCF1897.JPG

DSCF1898.JPG

DSCF1899.JPG

DSCF1901.JPG

DSCF1902.JPG

DSCF1903.JPG

DSCF1904.JPG

DSCF1905.JPG

The best laid plans of men and mice...............................................the boss relented and said I can use it, great thinks me, I get home from work, shower, eat, and head outside..............BLOODY CLOUDS. Ah well I'll put the filters in today and hopefully first light tonight.

And so far I have seen great clear days and then clouds roll in early evening. I hate this wait to test my baby out.

Came with filters even?  Look like my Baader fitler boxes.  If so, good quality filters.  Try not to curse the cloud too much!  Congrat's!

Cheers, Tim.

Filters were extra Tim and yep they are the Baader set. Steve at AstroShop recommended them over the cheaper ones I was looking at so I bit the bullet and got quality filters.

Shane

Well I am exceptionally pleased with the camara. Using the supplied software was relatively easy to negotiate and understand. Cooling to -20 below ambient took about 10-15 minutes on the settings I used and I only did a quick focus and a short 15 sec pic to check it out, my PA need improving lots, and I am happy with the 15 sec L of Omega Cent. The attached pic is just a FITS to TIFF conversion no stretching .

Overall this camera gives me what I want, a good FoV and relative ease of use. Once I fix the PA I'll be trying to catch up with Greg's pics;). Long way off but hey its all about enjoyment and improving.

Shane

omega cent.tif

Wow mate, you must be loving it. And yeah I've spent the best part of two nights making sure my PA was bang on. I use the graphing feature in Maxim to nail down my PA, it was super accurate but had a minor learning curve. 

That image is awesome considering its your first image and the PA is out. 

Ray

Cheers Ray, so far I have mainly tried drift alignment but will try the drift tool in PHD 2 to see if I can get it more accurate.

Shane

Polar aligning for long exposures can be time consuming and demanding. I keep a quality control document on my PC, tells me what are the proven way directions to adjust the mount to reverse drift in dec. (i rarely rely on memory). Remember you don't need to worry about any drift in RA for now, just DEC. I use a star near the meridian lowish (is that even a word) on the northern horizon, then a star near the celestial equator lowish on the east horizon. Then I repeat it the process until both axis are spot on. If you are using a CCD camera and watching for drift, increase the zoom to 400 times or something, it makes drift quicker to detect. Also easier if the x and y axis move perpendicular to the CCD camera (its more reliable to detect dec drift). I align until my mount can comfortably hold a star without any dec drift for at least five minutes. 

Ray

• Like 1

Cheers mate, I was planning on drift aligning tonight but the clouds just seem to hang right on top of me atm. The cloud forecast doesnt look very good for a few days yet either.

Shane

What would you guys call acceptable PA error with a NEQ6? I have had a go at using the PHD2 drift align tool, after which I then ran the guiding assistant tool which reports a PA error of approx 1.8 arc-min.

I'm not sure how to word the P.E against your pixels, but as long as the stars look round after 5 minutes you should be alright. Choose faint dim stars to make that judgement, it will be easier to detect any drift in DEC. As long as the RA movements are holding it in place, DEC drift is all you need to worry about.  

Ray 

Great stuff indeed.   I am afraid I got into Astronomy about 50 years too late.  The old pension severely hampers one's wishes and desires. 

Plus the fact we are still surviving on my single pension. Dept of Immigration still sitting on issuing Val's Permanent Visa, despite qualifying last November.  At least I also get a small pension from the UK which is used as "spending" money, but loses value every year as its not indexed. 

Dave

I know the feeling Dave, that was my last big purchase as we now survive on a much smaller income since my back surgery, I only work 27 hrs a fortnight, and my wife only does around 30 a fortnight, but it's still better than the dole or a pension mate. 

I still like to dream that one day I can afford a high end mount though. :rolleyes:

Shane

Know the routine, I was only 54 when I was put on Disability Pension. I almost put myself back into hospital in trying to get back into the work force, but one lives according to one's means, I often wanted one of those big shiny boxes for Ham Radio, but always out of my reach and I used what I affectionately called "OPJ Mk1" etc ( Other people's junk which I rebuilt and restored.) However I achieved a number of awards using home made gear like DXCC (Worked over 100 different countries)  WAS (Worked all States in the USA) and endorsed as a single mode CW (Morse code only) I still only use CW and have an RCC (Rag Chewers Certificate) for a continuous uninterrupted two way contact with a radio ham in the USA in morse code. (Minimum speed was 25 WPM) That was standard speed in the Navy. 

So you make the most out of what you have and can get and enjoy whatever results you get.  I am happy still to be around with reasonable health and prospects. 

• Like 1