Necessity IS the mother of invention.  After a series of unfortunate events resulting in having to remove my concrete pier last year.  I racked my brain and drew the plans up for these pier legs.  Now I am portable.

Used it last nite for the first time seems like it's going to be fine.  I am however back to having to remember NOT to kick the pier leg.  BUT if I do it may cause some vibration and ruin a sub, but it's won't lose it's alignment.

Cheers, Tim.

IMG_2754_web.jpg

IMG_2755_web.jpg

IMG_2756_web.jpg

Walking light-footed, should be fine.  I was sitting down while doing some planetary.  I do know, even with a concrete pier, a good stomp within a few feet will give vibration.  An actual deep-sky imaging session yet to happen, will just have to wait and see if I get any reverberating from the mount itself...

Cheers, Tim.

• Like 1

That looks amazing mate. I may be moving my entire observatory 1.5 metres south soon. If I do, I may not even cement the new pier down, because my pier comes up through my observatory floor so I have no risk of kicking the legs, but your design may reduce vibrations that I currently see from passing traffic with a cemented version into the ground. Hmm, got me thinking.

Ray

Great looking base. Looks very solid. If pins came down under those flat feet going straight into the ground would be very hard to nudge accidentally. 

Bill