Radar

Meanwhile In Australia

2 hours ago, wingeing Pom said:

Brilliant - better not show this to the missus or she won't even visit :)
Greg

If you are in suburbia or a hotel you won't see any of this. I live in suburbia and the most I have to worry about are red back and white tail spiders. The white tails are small but have a flesh eating bacteria in their venom. I won't put pictures of a white tail's damage. 

Just show the missus a postcard of Australia's pristine beaches, but don't tell her about the sharks, sea snakes, salt water crocodiles or our transparent (almost invisible) jellyfish that are in there.  

2 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

Well you all can have it!  I'm happy out here in the prairies of South Dakota. Rabid skunk or pissed off badger is all I gotta worry about.

Eric

In Australia, when you are sitting outside doing astronomy, out in the country, by yourself, in total darkness, halfway through a long exposure, and then you hear leaves on the ground begin rustling a few feet away, it takes a certain type of someone to not want to jump up out of the chair onto the scope and start riding it out of there like it's a rocket. It's even harder to stay focused on the manual guiding convincing yourself that it's not a big snake or giant spider and that you will check it out in 20 minutes once the exposure is over.  Many times I've sat guiding a long one hour exposure whilst the bushes rustle a few feet away. 

52 minutes ago, timthelder said:

Holy poo-poo!

So, is this your way of keeping me from coming to visit?!

Tim.

Nope, just getting you ready for your trip. May as well desensitize you nice and early (desensitizing usually takes about 10 to 15 years). :P

Ray

In all honesty though, those images above are extreme and from the tropics. They are certainly not the norm. I've seen just as many crocs, snakes and sharks this year as all of you. Hopefully it stays that way. B)

Ray 

Makes me realise how lucky I am to be one of the boys down under :-) I'll try to get something for you to add here from my Tasmania trip this holiday! Love your work buddy :-)

Hi Gary,

When are you heading to Tazzy mate? Would love to go there, you get see the Aurora Australis from down there.

Ray