What would be a good DSLR camera for astrophotography, terrestrial photography and normal photography. I'd like to do star trails, meteor showers, a lot of long exposure stuff. Any suggestions?

Ray

Well, my suggestion would be a Canon, whatever the latest and greatest is.  Mine is a 450D.  I modified it myself for astro-photography.  (Kind've like brain surgery without any brown matter.)  I haven't kept up with the latest mods, but Gary Honis, and Hap Griffin used to be two of the most prominent sources.

http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html

Looks like he modifies and sells quite a few different models.

Tim.

I'm with Tim. Right now Canon offers the 60Da model. It is a APS-C camera that has a special IR filter that is enhanced for AP but filters enough that it can still be used for general photography. A bit expensive in my opinion when compared to the regular 60D, which I have see some excellent imaging done with.

There is also the model  6D which has the lowest noise level of the cameras in this test.....Gary Honis Tests 6D

Eric

Very interesting guys. The 6D looks awesome. I'll have to crunch the numbers on the other models but low noise reigns supreme in my opinion. However noise can always be removed and having an articulating screen would be awesome for AP because of the angles the camera ends up in. I noticed his comments about the 6D-

Based on my review and testing of the 6D camera and earlier Canon camera models, these are the key 6D features I found most applicable for astro imaging:

Extremely low dark frame noise level even for long exposures at room temperature and after two hours of continuous exposures
High signal to noise ratio in sensitivity testing
Full Frame camera with relatively large 6.6 micron pixels
14-bit ADC and newest DIGIC 5+ image processor
Wide ISO range of from 50 up to 102,400 ISO
Feel of the textured grip on both sides of the camera
Smaller size and weight than other full format cameras

What I didn't like:

Lack of any type of movie crop mode feature, as were features of the T2i and T3i models. The crop video mode is very useful for planetary, lunar and solar imaging.
Lack of an articulating (swivel) display screen.
For camera modifications, this model is more difficult to modify because of the way the filter assembly is glued to the imaging sensor.

I'm surprised Nikon isn't a top tier camera for AP.  

Ray

Nikon has taken Canon's lead to addressing astro photographers. It just recently came out with the model 810a.

Very expensive though...for that price one could look at SBIG or Apogee in the dedicated CCD camera price range.

Best bang for buck would be Canon...I have heard rumor that the CEO of Canon is also an amateur astronomer so I would expect more offerings from them in the future and in the lesser expensive models.

Ray I use the Canon T3i /600D. If you are just looking to try one out it has the articulated view screen and is second to the 6d in low dark noise. Canon has offered this camera for quite a few years now and the price has come down considerably compared to when I bought mine. Excellent camera and they can be bought for cheep now a days. It also has the video crop for planetary. It's just a real good all around camera. I have not modded mine as it seems to have fairly good performance in the red spectrum.

These images were  taken with the T3i / 600D. They are mostly red spectrum and lots of Ha. This is an unmodded camera.

19228679931_2dba1270ed_c.jpg

18355558263_650280f060_c.jpg

Eric

19 hours ago, Eric Mjolnir said:

These images were all taken with the T3i / 600D. They are mostly red spectrum and lots of Ha. This is an unmodded camera.

Thanks for posting those Eric. Got my juices flowing. And Tim, that last link, the sensitivity (at least nebulosity) is mind blowing for a DSLR. Hmm, now I'm even more interested. 

Ray

weather_god.png

• Like 1

Just to give another option mirroless cameras are worth looking at particularly the Sony {Ar711} and fuji {Xt-1} models.

I recently picked up a second hand Fuji Xe-1 to use as a compact second body to my Nikon dslr, its a beautiful little camera and quite a potent and sensitive sensor and the fuji lenses

are top notch quality at reasonable cost. Worth a look .

A new mount and now you're looking at a camera. Damn Ray you are pushing your luck with those weather gods.

Shane

• Like 1

On 31/01/2016 at 8:15 PM, beren said:

Just to give another option mirroless cameras are worth looking at particularly the Sony {Ar711} and fuji {Xt-1} models.

I recently picked up a second hand Fuji Xe-1 to use as a compact second body to my Nikon dslr, its a beautiful little camera and quite a potent and sensitive sensor and the fuji lenses

are top notch quality at reasonable cost. Worth a look .

Interesting. Mirrorless would be a good adaption for AP. I remember with my film cameras I had to lock up my mirrors because of the vibration they caused when opening. Took me ages to figure out why the images were blurry. I'd forgotten about that factor. Some of these cameras are much cheaper than I expected, I was expecting in the thousands of dollars as opposed to hundreds (certainly not complaining). 

Stu what do you mean you picked up a Fuji to use as a second body to the Nikon? Do you mean you can use the Nikon lenses on it?

Ray

Yeah mate I have an older Nikon D700 {and a even older Nikon FE2 film camera ...still going lol} with a small collection of Nikkor lens but wanted something smaller for city/family photography. The Fuji Xe-1 I picked up for $500 second hand from the IIS forums, you can get a adapter to fit Nikon lens to it but yet to pick one up. Got a t-ring adapter arriving soon so I can use it with the scopes and see how it goes. I have a little tracking mount for widefield shooting so I'll be keen to try the fuji out that way to .

and a even older Nikon FE2 film camera

lol, I've still got my film cameras to. It is a real shame film is dead. However I bought about 1 or 2 hundred rolls of kodak elite chrome 200 before everything went south. I'll get one of those mini star trackers soon and next time I'm out in the country do a few widefield shots. I also have some Nikkor lenses. 

Ray