Sign in to follow this  
gyro

Curiosity Rover wheel damage.

I don't think NASA expected this amount of wear and tear just yet, this doesn't bode well fora lengthy mission scrambling around the foot hills of Mt Sharp.

That's amazing, certainly wouldn't expect an aluminium wheel to wear like that. Have you seen the landing footage / technique for this mission?

Ray

Sent from my iPad using iOS MASA / MyAstroSpace App

I know they were concerned about weight factors. But looks like they would have used wheels similiar as to what's used on construction equipment. I nifty solid rubber design with a tread designed for the terrain. I hope they can get a few more miles out of it. Backwards, sideways, what ever gets the job done.

Tim.

I wonder if the soil is slightly acidic toward aluminium? Let's hope it keeps on keeping on.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using iOS MASA / MyAstroSpace App

Some of that damage looks more like brittle breakage rather than abrasive wear. - maybe the landing impact was heavier than calculated and we are now seeing metal fatigue.

We will have to wait for the next JPL Ustream media report explanation - I'll post it.

The wheels are tucked in during flight and landing. They fold out once it lands. If the landing was strong enough to crack those wheels I reckon it would have damaged many other more fragile parts. I agree the metal looks brittle. Like an egg shell. Maybe the wheels were just too thin.

Sent from my iPhone using the MASA iOS App.

I thought this was one of those bouncing ballon landings (that's the technical term anyway). Now I've seen that video, definitely the landing could have caused those cracks. Probably the most likely candidate now.

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using the MASA iOS App.