Sign in to follow this  
wingeing Pom

Over two months now!!

So we have now had over two months of appalling weather with rain virtually every day. Yesterday the main train line to Devon and Cornwall got washed out at Dawlish Warren!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best thing was the weather forecast yesterday said we have ANOTHER MONTH of this, and I can see the next rain front coming in from the SW about an hour away.

On the point of calling it a day here. Booking my flight to Oz.

Greg

See you soon mate. Bring the paramount and I'll chuck some shrimps on the barbee.

I think you'd like it down here, some great skies.

Sent from my iPhone using the MASA iOS App.

That's funny, I was just about to make a gripe post on the weather...Got white stuff on the ground, temps just above freezing for at least another week or so. I'm still a lot better off than what some have been getting this winter. None of that knee deep stuff!

Tim

See you soon mate. Bring the paramount and I'll chuck some shrimps on the barbee.

I think you'd like it down here, some great skies.

What part of Oz are you in Ray? We are SERIOUSLY thinking of moving country - this is getting daft here.

Greg

I am in Perth, West Australia. Probably largest land mass with the smallest population on the planet = dark skies and plenty of places to go.

Also host to the square kilometre array or ska. Most powerful radio telescope in the world, still being constructed.

Need any particular info just let me know.

Ray

Cheers Ray :)

Perth looks great (we have a programme over here called "Wanted Down Under" where Poms are given a week to check out certain areas of Oz for a possible move). The only bit of Oz I know is the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast (plus a week on Heron Island).

Greg

For astronomy I think Perth and Western Australia as a whole has it over the Eastern States. If you are looking at setting up an obs under dark skies, you can purchase large blocks under seriously dark skies for very reasonable prices. You'd be like a kid in a toy store with the Southern Sky objects as well, it's pretty packed.

Two hours South we have dense Forrest with a great winery region, two hours north we have the Pinnacles desert. Further up gets tropical. Thousands of kms of pristine coastline. Have a good Google, heaps of stuff and places.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using iOS MASA / MyAstroSpace App

You don't need to sell Australia to me at all Ray - I have been right round the whole coastline on Google Earth checking the place out in very fine detail :) Ningaloo and Shark Bay - the west coast has a ton of great stuff for me. I'm just a bit annoyed I didn't make the move 30 years ago, but the pay and conditions on offer (Sydney Uni) were total rubbish to be honest. However, in the intervening 30 years your salaries have got a LOT better than ours for the same job, so if I'd jumped I would be o.k. now. I'm 60 in a couple of months and a big move like this is looking more daunting than it did when I was only 30 :) Still, it might still happen though!!

Greg