Sign in to follow this  
gyro

ISON remnant - maybe ?

The good news for UK members is that the weather is set fair and clear for dawn tomorrow (Sat 30th) - here's hoping there is something left to observe.

Looks like it was just a death shudder, brightened a little bit and now it's going to dust in the wind....Pan-STARRS was a much better comet IMO.

Cheers, Tim.

I was watching this via Soho. Ison never swung around and back toward us as predicted, however IMHO it was fried, but still something moved out away from the sun. From the images I saw by Soho, it didn't like it was slung back towards us. Can anyone verify where it is heading?

Check this link-

http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/soho_movie_theater

Choose Lasco C2 camera.

Select 28th - 29th. Frame 35 to 105. Looks great.

Ray

I'm confused .....

SOHO is in a halo orbit at L1, so how do we convert a position/track of ISON from a SoHO image to the co-ords from Earth to answer Radars's question.

halo_orbit.gif

Thanks for posting those links Sam. So the trajectory has changed.

And Gyro I have no idea how to plot courses, I just felt that from the soho footage it didn't sling shot around the sun anywhere as tightly as the computer simulations had previously shown. However this is something I should learn how to do, I still scratch my head wondering how Edmund Haley figured out that his comet was returning 76 years later. Seriously, how does one do that? Someone knows something I don't, not happy, lol.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using iOS MASA / MyAstroSpace App

Ray,

EH was a friend of Newton - he used his Gravity theory and the observed positions, as a function of time, to predict the orbit.

Good luck with the maths mate :bah: