Sign in to follow this  
Radar

Comet Ison - Predictions - Thoughts - Photograhpy Techniques

I've been watching the data coming out on this over the last few months. It has an amazing trajectory. It will also fly through the suns atmosphere and sling shot right over earth. Magnetic storms or flares on the sun could nudge this snowball off course slightly.

Overwhelming amount of conspirators already onto this, however I'm more interested in the science.

Check left side of video showing if you are unfamiliar with it.

http://youtu.be/fgrQLF8OhvU

My only advice at this stage is to get your wide angle lenses ready. Tail could be huge. Could put on a great meteor shower as well.

Sent from my iPad using iOS MASA / MyAstroSpace App

I just hope it doesn't fizzle out. It's not brightening as has been anticipated.

Tim.

If it flies thru the suns atmosphere and survives, could put on an amazing show as it comes past. Apparently it's already visible in a 8 inch telescope. Shame it's not brightening as predicted.

Sent from my iPhone using the MASA iOS App.

Thanks Gyro,

I really hope this one doesn't wind up being a dud...Although if it's as good as Pan-Starrs It'd be Ok.

Cheers, Tim.

Hmmm, the forum was down during Pan-Starrs, I've got a few pic's to share.

I started to make my own ephemeris map of ISON, so I opened up Stellarium to take a screen shot. Lo and behold ISON is already on there. This is an image of ISON's approximate location on Oct. 15th at 10:30 UT. Regulus, Mars and ISON are lined up nicely.

ISON_10-15-13_zpsad813134.jpg

Tim

Holy cow, I can't believe the first time in a few years I have time to image stuff and we are experiencing the longest and wettest period in Western Australia for like 100 years! Cloud, cloud and more cloud, hence the avatar.

Can't wait to get some shots of this. What is the best way to shoot this? Large format with RGB or planetary camera?

Ray

So glad it is brightening already. Anyone had a visual on this?

Handy little site that Tim.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using iOS MASA / MyAstroSpace App

Few days ago got a strange email from a member of the public. Wanted to know if it was true that ISON would shift the magnetic poles and and move the Tectonic plates as it passed the earth: I advised him I was not into Astrology but Astronomy and that Comets are nothing more than large blobs of icecream with a gritty filling....

On an associated subject with my other hobby, Ham Radio. We are supposed to be peaking the current sunspot cycle but its the lowest its been for 200 years... Maybe ISON is cooling the sun as it approaches. ...Maybe ?

Sorry about that....... I will go to the corner, Sir!

Exits left.

Cheers Dave

Maybe ISON is cooling the sun as it approaches. ...Maybe ?

Sorry about that....... I will go to the corner, Sir!

I dunno Dave...Deep fried ice cream is pretty good. (once you get past the gritty part.)

Tim.

On an associated subject with my other hobby, Ham Radio. We are supposed to be peaking the current sunspot cycle but its the lowest its been for 200 years... Maybe ISON is cooling the sun as it approaches. ...Maybe ?

Hi Dave,

I got a similar email a few days ago as well. Also with the Sun's activities lately, she's just started throwing x-class flares out. So definitely intensifying as we approach solar maximum. I use an app on my iPhone and iPad called Solar Monitor. Gives push notifications when things are happening. In fact I'd go as far to say the app is making me want to buy a serious Ha telescope.

Checkout SOHO's website sometime.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/soho/#.Um-ZwflkN8E

Ray

I have a PST. It displays a viewing of the sun in Ha. Definately worth it. I have witnessed some spectular solar shows from it such as the solar sunami. One thing I missed out on though that I had my heart set on was to watch Venus travel across the surface of the Sun. Stupid clouds. Grrr. I will never get to see that again. Oh Ray. You should put a stupid cloud smiley on here. I'm sure it will get used often. lol.

I have a PST Mal. I ripped it apart modifying it, but it will be easy to put back together. I think you've inspired me to go back to basics with it.

You should put a stupid cloud smiley on here. I'm sure it will get used often. lol.

I think so to. I'll be launching this site properly later in the week, so some new smilies would look good.

Ray

Have you managed to glimpse it yet? I still can't see anything before dawn. The moon must be getting in the way.

Ray

You should be able to spot it with a pair of binos now Ray, It's right at a magnitude 5.0

The tail has grown quite spectacular, about 12 solar diameters or 7 degrees long I believe. There is some speculation that the core is possibly fragmenting or breaking up causing the phenomena.

Tim

Okay, so on Saturday I put back together my PST and wow, I'd forgotten how good those little things were. However by taking it apart, it has allowed me to turn the etalon just a little further than Coronado had it set for, and IMO, I'm getting views that I couldn't get before. Maybe that is why I'm so impressed by it this time round. Thanks for the inspiration Mal.

Ray