Sign in to follow this  
Kokatha man

Bintel 16" lightbucket supercheap..!

Hi all, thought I'd post the ad here in MAS as well as "Aust. Astronomy Buy & Sell" - I'm selling the Bintel GSO 16" "truss" dob that I was originally going to use as my new planetary imaging scope.....

As regular MAS members will know I came into a bit of an inheritance and have ordered an Orion Optics VX16 scope (must be getting near delivery date soon!:smiley-dance017:) because of custom-optics and 158cm OTA at 29Kgm being a better allround choice on my EQ mount.....hence this sale.

It would suit an "as new" purchase prospect.....it features the enhanced turntable and altitude adjuster bearings to compensate for weight distribution on the OTA.....used twice to my knowledge - once by the original purchaser from Bintel Melbourne when the young chap bought it about 18 months ago and when I had a squizz at Saturn when I purchased it.

The young fella who owned it didn't really know what collimation meant and just bought it for the biggest bang for bucks on a whim as far as I could ascertain.....then wanted to cash it in on a ticket to Europe with his mates when that came up.....and being the miserable tightwad I am I beat him down to $1800 (I think?!?)

Anyway, I had an aluminium tube made up for the mid-section to turn it into a solid tube job for mounting on my big EQ.....this eventually ended up costing over $600 extra...

This will be thrown into the deal along with the GSO 8x50mm RACI finder, 15mm inch & quarter ep and a 42mm and 30mm wide angle ep's (both 2" jobs) - it features a Crayford style 2 speed focuser.

This is an absolute bargain imho - folks who know me will also know that I have my highly-modded C11...a 5" apo triplet and incoming VX16 so I think I've enough scopes to keep me occupied otherwise.....but please, as I've said on Aust. A B&S I will not even contemplate freighting it anywhere other than delivering it in or around Adelaide (SA) or near-country SA areas for any possible buyers....!:Oh_No::thumbsdownmate::rulez:

I just want to reinforce this last bit because someone (Rom, is that you el_draco..?) emailed me yesty and said if I got to the point of contemplating freighting to let him know.....I had to say (very nicely!) that it could stay at my place forever if that is its' fate, but if he got to the point of coming over to pick it up then by all means drop me a line.....which is all to say "no way Jose!" will I freight it anywhere..!

As far as I'm concerned anyone looking for a very good condition 16" dob could motor over from Vic or NSW and still get a far better deal with the added petrol expense than anything going locally in their own state.....WA folks might have to think a bit harder..!:character00182::pipethinker::hmm::lmao:

:hijacked:

As far as I'm concerned anyone looking for a very good condition 16" dob could motor over from Vic or NSW and still get a far better deal with the added petrol expense than anything going locally in their own state.....WA folks might have to think a bit harder..!:character00182::pipethinker::hmm::lmao:

So this isn't walking distance then?:hijacked:

I would love this mate, but I'm about to plunge into the world of monochrome CCD imaging (and I don't even know what a bias frame is).

:smiley-laughing025:

Ray

well done mate' date=' anyone we know?[/quote']

.....don't think so Shane...but then again I wouldn't really know: I think he's pretty happy with the deal!:smile:

Well all that really counts Darryl is that you are both happy with th deal. How long until the new beastie arrives?

Well Shane, I have to say that the price I asked and got was rock-bottom as far as something in this size and condition/relative newness goes.....but I was also realistic in that Adelaide is only going to have so many people looking for/wanting a really big dob scope at any one time: not willing to even contemplate freighting it was another factor in getting a sale (naturally I did have the usual requests for said, even though I was very specific on that point...)

If it hadn't sold I was going to put those lock down castors on the base so I could wheel it out of the garage for some lovely nights viewing DSO's with low power widefield ep's.....but it was sold in a tad under 2 weeks.....the guy was pretty happy, and the amount of extra space in the workshop is quite amazing now that it's gone..!

Having an extra G in my pocket is also nice re keeping on budget.....I have to pay GST for the VX16 when it arrives (any day now I'm informed) which also includes GST on freight!!!

Some other things need fabricating: I'm profiling an extension piece from a spare SCT focuser spacer to fit the new scope so I can use the Moonlite DRO - 200mm+ radius - which means I'll need access to a plurry big lathe.....that can be arranged but I'll need to grease someone's palm for the priviledge.....and then there's the bar to connect the tube rings, plus some other little trinkets to fabricate.....so yeah, the extra bunda will come in handy..!:eartoear: