Sign in to follow this  
Radar

Saturn, Hamburger and Omega Cent

My PC in the obs is dead at the moment, so I'm going to be putting windows 7 onto it tomorrow. Once that is done I'll be able to do some imaging again.

In the meantime I thought I'd do some visual observing.

Lovely warm evening, but Saturn was dancing around like a techno dancer at a day rave. So I canned that object pretty quick (first time I've seen it this season).

I slewed the scope onto M68. The cluster was quite nice through my C14.

Moving to M83 I could only resolve a fuzzy core. I haven't actually used this equipment for some time now, and I was surprised that the scope was nicely collimated and that the mount knew where everything was.

I then moved onto NGC5128, The Hamburger and even though I could not resolve the bright sesame seed buns on the top and bottom, I could clearly see the central dust lane that moves through it.

No filters were used during this session, and no scientists were killed either.

Next object was Omega Centauri, and wow! She was awesome. In my 21mm Ethos she filled up the entire FOV and was so bright I think I sunburnt my cornea.

Then, the moon popped up over my neighbours house.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning all my gear and getting ready for some well prepared visual and some very rusty planetary work.

Ray

This is what I love about our pastime.....the in-depth accounts and analysis of topics such as "THE WONDERS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM: who is Radar Ray, and why is he using technical language beyond my comprehension"...but do I care - just fill up my glass with another whiskey and a shot of cola! :hmm: :yesplease::duh:

Most probably he'll wind up trying to convert me into a Buddhist Communist Mormon Brotherhood of Hungry Jacks & Jills member.....but I don't give a stuff: as long as he keeps my glass full and those dust lanes out of my buns, he's got my vote: shove Brian Cox trying to tempt me with metho again! :weird::eek::rolleyes:

Amen to that Dazza! :smiley-laughing021:

..and mmmmm, Ray could only see M83's fuzzy core with a C14... well that 3hrs I spent looking for it and not finding it that night with my 8" Dob wasn't just my bad star-hopping then :rolleyes::noob::smiley-dance018:

This is what I love about our pastime.....the in-depth accounts and analysis of topics such as "THE WONDERS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM: who is Radar Ray, and why is he using technical language beyond my comprehension"

Hi Darryl, Ray here mate. I think Radar uses those big words to show how amazing his knowledge is. I also have no idea what he is on about. All I got from his post was something about a Big Mac or Hamburger (can't remember), and then he was waffling about hats or sombreros or something.

Most probably he'll wind up trying to convert me into a Buddhist Communist Mormon Brotherhood of Hungry Jacks & Jills member.....but I don't give a stuff: as long as he keeps my glass full and those dust lanes out of my buns, he's got my vote: shove Brian Cox trying to tempt me with metho again!

No mate, I don't have enough time, so Ron is kindly taking care of that for me. :smiley-sw003:

..and mmmmm, Ray could only see M83's fuzzy core with a C14... well that 3hrs I spent looking for it and not finding it that night with my 8" Dob wasn't just my bad star-hopping then

When I say fuzzy, what I mean is, bright core, but I can't see the central dust lane yet. However, being a workshop manager I've given our machinist some adapters to modify. This will enable me to use a focal reducer with my 21mm Ethos and Lumincon 2 inch filter slider. This combo should help me see the light, pun intended. :Chessy_Smile:

Ray