Sign in to follow this  
timthelder

Equipment reviews

Hi all,

Everyone's always upgrading and/or getting new equipment. :woot:

I thought it might be nice to have a place in the forum just to "review" ones new purchase, and tell others what they think.:thumbsupmate: :thumbsdownmate:

Now, all I need is a new piece of gear!

Cheers, Tim.

Good idea Tim. I can't count the times I've bought something only to find out later it wasn't what I thought it could do and had there been more exchange of results, I could have avoided pitfalls, or been lead to the really good stuff.

Three execllent purchases I have made are my CGEM mount and QUH8 camera, followed by my AstroTech8IN low cost Newt. These have exceeded my expectations for value, performance and pleasure.... and I've had them now for almost a year and they continue to astonish me.

I also bought an ADM replacement saddle for my CGEM to allow me to use Vixen or wide dovetail plates and that's a real winner product over the adaptor they sell.

ADM sells and I bought new knobs for the clutches, which are not so good, they strip out easily, and are long enough to conflict with the mount and the Azimuth knobs have un-polished ends which scar the vertical pin upon which they press. The original equipment knobs have a spherical chrome plated end which turns easily agaist the alignment pin. I put the original ones back on.

one last item... I bought an Orion Easy Star Finder gadet for my guide camera that allows you to move your chip around the field of view to locate the best guide star... much easier than with rings, and allows the guide scope to align with the imaging scope.

cheers

cheers

Greetings all,

This is an unexpected equipment upgrade post; had my eye on getting a C8-SGT (XLT) scope and was waiting on answers to a couple questions I had concerning equipment crossover. I currently have a 4SE... Anyway went to the planetarium here to see what they had for floor models to test one out as knew they had quite a variety from prior visits. Their supply went from approx 15 to 3 floor models (their bestsellers) and they had 3 left they were trying to get rid of. A CPC GPS 11 XLT $2100.00/ a CPC GPS 925 $1600.00 and an Orion Skymaster goto 150mm? $700.00. These were floor models and like brand new.. Anyway I bought the CPC 925 GPS (XLT) for 1,600.00 and used it last night for first time and was awesome. I may need to collimate it but was very impressed with what I did see with it last night and stability and power supply is no problem, I used the celestron 12V power supply I had been using with my 4SE and it worked perfect for a couple hours with no pre-charge on it and it is only the smaller 7 amp supply one. It is a little heavy but moves very very easy in two pieces and sets up in less than a minute and ready to view. The only CON I have is the power on light is red and is on top of the mount and can interfere,,, will get a piece of black cloth to cover it, simple fix. Am new to astronomy so not as knowledgeable as most on here, but I am very pleased with it and ordered the adapter ring for camera to see what it does,,, I do tend to ramble on LOL...

congratulations on your new toy! I have a 9.25" SCT on my CGEM mount and am most pleased with it. It is a superb instrument. I did get a two speed feathertouch focuser to replace the stock one, for imaging nad it was easy to install and works quite well.. good hunting.

thanks you guys, am really happy with it. Hey Tony, was looking for a focuser like you said you have, cant find it on Celestron site, searching sites found a JMI focuser; what is it you have? Is it the Starlight version?

Thank you for your brain trust:woot: Kasey

I bought one from OPTcorp in Oceanside CA. It was a Starlight instruments feather touch FTM-C925' but is noted not compatible with the CPC version of the scope...So I'd check with them or from whom you are buying that the unit they are providing will work with the CPC version if that's what you have.

Cheers

Oops I found further down they have a FTM-CPC925 model

CPC 9.25 feathertouch focuser

Hey Tony,

I went ahead and purchased a focuser from starlight and installed it yesterday and it works great. Is a good investment for sure. Now am waiting for the Barlow 2x Powermate that I see Tim uses on His Astrotarp web site pictures. Hopefully can get close to your guys skill level.. Thanks for sharing..

Shalom Kasey

Now am waiting for the Barlow 2x Powermate that I see Tim uses on His Astrotarp web site pictures

I use the Televue 2.5x powermate in conjunction with the DMK21 for planetary imaging only.

For the DSLR shots done @ F/18 with the 100ED refractor, I use just the lens cell off of a 2x EDbarlow I purchased from Smart Astronomy. (i.e. I screwed it off of the barlow and screwed it onto the DSLR prime focus adapter...) Focusing at 2x requires a considerable amount of back-focus. Unless one has an extra long focuser tube, it will require a tube extension.

Cheers, Tim.

Good enhancement to the SCT. I am surprised they don't provide a good focuser with their scopes as the optics are great. Another enhancement is a set of Bob's Knobs to replace the colimation screws on the front of the scope. I don't have them on my current scope, but did on a former 8" Meade SCT and it was much easier to turn screws without risk of touching the corrector plate with a screw driver!

cheers

UHC/LPR filter

Greetings All, Was out trying new equipment and Televue 2.5x powermate, was using it as a visual eyepiece enhancer (need to get adapters to mount onto my Nikon D5000, am able to mount camera directly to scope only at this time). It worked fairly well but must be bright object or is too dark. But was playing with filters and when put a UHC/LPR filter and focused on Jupiter rising and the moons was a really strange effect, wish I was able to get a picture of it. Its not the right use for filter but was pretty awesome the effect... Enjoying the 9.25 very much... Shalom Kasey

For Jupiter and the moon, you really don't need the light pollution filters. The objects are very bright and have enough contrast tot he background sky to show up. Ligth Pollution filters tend to darken the image and in this case its not critical. I use my LPI Meade camera on these objects without any filters... unless you want to accentuate certain features with blue, red, green violet or yellow planetary filters.

cheers

G'day Guys,

I'll be writing a review very soon on my QSI 683wsg. In a nutshell though, I haven't done first light, though the Orion Star Shoot guide camera has seen first light. So much to learn moving from film to CCD, but I'm very close to imaging with this puppy. So far the quality, software and overall function of the camera appears amazing. I can't wait to start shooting. Clear skies coming later this week.

Tim did you want to setup the new forum for new equipment reviews, otherwise I can fiddle.

Ray

Tim did you want to setup the new forum for new equipment reviews, otherwise I can fiddle.

Well, what I intended was just that...A specific topic to review new toys, so to speak.

It seem doesn't seem to be working as intended, so fiddle away mate.

Tim.

looking forward to the review Ray. Gotta love having new "toys" to play with hey.

Cheers Shane

Sure is mate. Pretty much ready to start imaging, just gotta wait for the weather to clear now. What is awesome is that my internet in my observatory is now online. I'm in here now, which gives me time to surf this site.

Well, what I intended was just that...A specific topic to review new toys, so to speak.

It seem doesn't seem to be working as intended, so fiddle away mate.

Tim.

So you want a new category for new toys? If so, no problem.

Ray

missed seeing this post... glad it worked out. I really like my 9.25" SCT. If you use a dew shield, I found that putting a couple of small strips of velcro, felt side out, on the dew shield and the scope, and then put the other hook on a small pice of plastic to make a kind of connector plate, allows you to secure the dew shield to the scope and it doesn't tend to droop or slip off. simple but effective.