Sign in to follow this  
kiymah

Jupiter-Uranus Conjunction Jan 2011

The first days in Jan. 2011 have been a great opportunity to easily locate and image Uranus. It currently lies about 1/2 degree northwest of Jupiter. I have attached a picture I took Jan. 3th about 9:00 PM EST near 38N 85W. Jupiter and its moons lie in the center of a triangle made up of 24 Pisces (HR9041) on the left, 20 Pisces (HR9012) at lower right and Uranus at upper right. Uranus is about mag. 5.9. Separation of 24 and 20 Pisces is about 1 degree, Jupiter and Uranus about 1/2 degree. The photo was taken directly through the eyepiece (18mm) of a Meade ETX 70AT with a Sony DSC-W80 digital camera. The exposure is 2 sec. so Jupiter and moons are overexposed, but the point of the photo was to image Uranus, which this exposure accomplished. ISO was 250. Jupiter and Uranus will be at close conjunction for a little while yet. Now is a great time to get a better shot. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Nice effort kiymah and welcome to the MAS forums. Eyepiece projection photography isn't as easy as it sounds, keep up the good work.

Cheers, Tim.

Still hoping for a second shot at this so I can compare the positions of the planets relative to the background stars. Unfortunately, it has been overcast here since the night I took the original photo. Jupiter is already moving out of the field and I may not get a second shot at this. Such is life in the Ohio Valley.