Sign in to follow this  
timthelder

Not a pretty sight!

[ATTACH]3680[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3681[/ATTACH]

My wife called me at work today after she arrived home to inform me there must have been a storm, AND my scope was lying on the ground.

I work just 12 minutes from my home, not a drop of rain, or so much as a light gust of wind at my location.

The bolt holding the lower optical tube ring to the dovetail plate came out taking the threads with it, both focuser assemblies completely out of whack, numerous other problems, (as you could imagine)

BUT!

5 hours later, after some disassemby, and reassembly, I'm ready to put'er back in the race!

Just need to refocus everything, adjust the finder, slewing functions, etc, etc, etc. Hope collimation isn't out on 100ED, (it's a bugger to adjust.)

All in all...it could've been worse. It could've been the C9.25...I don't think the mirror would've survived.

AAAAAAAGH!

There, I feel much better. :biggrin:

Cheers

Geez Tim, I can imagine the sinking feeling when spotting it on it's side like that! Really glad to hear it escaped mortal damage.

All the best & hope you don't discover any other problems.

Man I've been outta da loop.:emoticon-misc-013:

That would send shivers down my spine buddy. Judging by your M33 shot looks like you get everything sorted nicely.

Ray

Probably the best way to end up with a ruined day is to see your pride and joy lying injured on the ground :frown:

Glad to hear it's all sorted.

No good Tim.

Sounds familiar though.

My gear crashed to the ground during the massive storm we had here 2 weeks ago.

It was too dangerous to save it during the storm so it all sat out there in the torrential rain all night!

Mine was all fixed and dried within 2 days.

Good to hear you fixed yours so fast :thumbsupmate:

Thanks for your sympathy fellas,

I consider myself lucky...All said and done, the only real damage is a small groove in the focuser tube (which happens to be right where I focus of course.)

Luckily Orion makes a dual crayford upgrade which I will be ordering shortly...

An ob's is out of the question at the moment, but I see a pier in the near future...

Cheers, Tim.

Wow... what a bummer, but all's well that ends well... glad it was easy to fix and that your 9.25" wasn't under the hood... to save myself the aggravation of polar aligning each time, I sometimes leave my mount set up outside between imaging nights, but always bring the optical tubes into the house. I've sometimes been tempted to leave everything under the cover, but seeing that, no more!

cheers

Wow... what a bummer, but all's well that ends well... glad it was easy to fix and that your 9.25" wasn't under the hood... to save myself the aggravation of polar aligning each time, I sometimes leave my mount set up outside between imaging nights, but always bring the optical tubes into the house. I've sometimes been tempted to leave everything under the cover, but seeing that, no more!

cheers

Tony, I used to leave everything outside under a tarp, but after my crash I know bring the optics in but still leave the mount outside.