Sign in to follow this  
poppasmurf

Bushranger Observatory

Finalised the plans for the obs today. Now I can't wait to get started. Although a dome would look so cool, I decided on a roll off roof as it will be easier to build. The plan is to have the obs built 500mm off the ground with the warm room at ground level. The whole structure will be 4500 x 2800, which should give me plenty of room in both the obs and the warm room for any future expansion or to have a couple of guests in with me.:smiley-dance017::smiley-dance017:

Work has STARTED

Well people, at last work has started on "Bushranger Observatory". Just some clearing at this point but its a start:ta_clap5::band2_sml:

Here is a couple of pics, yes I know its just a bit a cleared area at the moment but it will take shape, if only slowly. The garden still has to be moved as well.

Looks like you've got some fun ahead of you there :) I enjoyed building my obs. Enjoy using it just as much .... when time permits :) Look forward to updates as they come.

Hey Shane,

Looking good. At least you can re-use the pool fence to keep any unwanted kids out. I know the dangers of kids and expensive equipment. The fence will protect them.

Oh yeah....the pier looks great too.

Daniel.

Due to an unexpected occurrance, daughter moving home, construction will probably be quicker than planned as I need to get my gear out the spare room. And as the shed will probably end up full of her S***, it can't go in there so full steam ahead. Hopefully......

A small setback has occurred. The footing was to be dug tomorrow and then concrete poured on Monday, alas the the hole wont be dug now for about 3 weeks, from full steam ahead to on the brakes in a day. Ah well as an ancestor of mine once said "Such Is Life".

She is in the pipeline and that is all that matters mate. Building the obs will be a pleasure and using it all the time (if you get time) will be even better.

Ray

She is in the pipeline and that is all that matters mate. Building the obs will be a pleasure and using it all the time (if you get time) will be even better.

Ray

A start is something I suppose Ray. I really need to get it done though, due to my back problems I rarely get the kit out anymore which is very disappointing, so I NEED it set up permanantely to get better use of it, even if i have to MAKE time. One thing I wasn't counting on when starting this project was the roller coaster ride.........excitement-disappointment-excitement-disappointment.......

Due to an unexpected occurrance' date=' daughter moving home[/quote']

lol This has happened to us last week as well.

G'day Mick, I believe this is her third time returning home. They certainly keep life interesting.lol

See what you've got to look forward to Ray!!!!!!!

See what you've got to look forward to Ray!!!!!!!

Thanks for the confidence boost mate, lol. :emoticon-misc-005:

Thanks for the confidence boost mate' date=' lol. :emoticon-misc-005:[/quote']

Your very welcome mate.:smiley-laughing001:

On to more serious stuff, a couple of update pics. I have done a rough pegout and started digging the pier pad(by hand with a bad back; not so much fun).After about half an hour had to stop digging, only about 700mm to go:smiley-dance017:. I never liked digging holes so this will be slow going at least the recent rain made the clay a bit softer if heavier. Probably done for the day now, got work tomorrow so I will see how I'm feeling Wednesday to continue, weather and body permitting.:emoticon-misc-005:

A small query: does the pier pad NEED to be 1m deep or could I get away with say 500mm?:anyone:

:ahh!: Had a couple of days off with plans to continue on the obs, unfortunately it rained and the pier pad is now full of water even though I had it covered to prevent this happening. So at this point in time there has been no action........... I'm told patience is a virtue :hmm: not sure if I have any virtues then.

Shane,

That is so awesome i envy you heaps, what a dream to built your own Obs.

Can't wait to see your images when it's complete, well done!!

Kind Regards

Shane

Thanks Shane, it is a dream to have a permanent obs and build it yourself which unfortunately at the moment, due to work and weather, is all that it remains. At least I have made a start and there is no rush now to get it done in any timeframe, except for the lack of ability to get the gear out. More pics will be posted as any updates are made.

By the way mate I have decided to get an Atik, so I will let you know when its time to purchase, probably after the obs is done which hopefully wont be too long.

Cheers Shane

Will do Ray, not much progress at the moment due to work, but as soon as there is I will post some more pics. If it's not work it seems to be the weather killing any sort of progress at all. I did get to bucket a bit of water out and the fence has been mostly removed but no pics yet.

Shane

Update with more pics

Finally I have something to report. Fence is gone, pier pad boxed and ready for concrete on Monday next week.:smiley-dance017:

Not much I know but at least there is progress, even if it is slow going. With any luck I may be done by Xmas.:woot::cool:

The roller coaster continues. Unfortunately the pier pad didn't get poured today as my concreter had too much on, so not sure when progress will be made.

:thumbsupmate:Please all pray for me to keep any rain away. The pier pad gets poured tomorrow. I will post pics when its done tomorrow arvo.

Thanks for the prayers people, it worked no rain. So as promised here are a couple of pics of the pier pad poured. It measures 1m x 1m x 0.7m. I would have gone 1m deep but the back didn't handle digging very well so 0.7 will have to suffice. Now when the concrete has dried I can set pier and start work on the obs proper.

More pics as work progresses.

Cheers Shane

Pier is set

Well I got home from work this arvo and was just pottering around and look what happened, much to the disgust of the MoF as I shouldn't be doing any pushing, pulling or lifting yet. Ah well such is life.:woot::thumbsupmate::ta_clap5::pipethinker:

Now I can start on the obs proper.