Sign in to follow this  
Duffy

Extra object in moon picture ?

I hope that I'm not getting off the track of astronamy but this happened while my folks were star gazing.

I recieved some pictures from my parents in Inverell NSW some time back when the moon, Venus and Jupiter were close.

My mum had set up her Olympas camera on a tripod to take some shots of the spectical. Pressing the shutter button and viewing the pictures on the back of the camera she noticed a extra star in one of the shots. She wasn't to sure what to make of it as no planes or satellites were visiable at the time.

I have had a bit of a play with the picture and can not work out what it is. Maybe some of you blokes with better editing software could have a play with it and see what you recon it is.

I'm not going to jump on the band wagon and call it the U word but from what I make of it I could see a disk shape. You will notice the object above the two planetson the upper left that I'm talking about. There are out of focus dust marks on the photo but these have no bearing on the image.

I have included before and after shots. Thought it might have been worth a look.

G'day Duffy,

Any chance we can get an idea of how long the exposure was for?

My first answer would be a satellite that was not naked eye, but visible to a CCD chip.

Ray

Interesting. I've had a play with the image & the object is certainly disk shaped. It is distinctly out of focus (telling us it was a lot closer to us than infinity) or it is motion blur.

Can you find out how far the 3 shots are apart, & the exposure times for all 3?

Asimov

Mate from memory my mum had it on auto just point and shoot as it is just a basic camera. The exposures would be no more than half to a full second. I would have to get the memory card off them to check. She may have had it running on one of the functions that the camera has built in to it.

The shot times on my computer say they were at 6.23pm, 6.24pm (object captured), 6.38pm for the last.

The reason why there is a 14 minute gap to the last is because they were trying to work out what had just been photographed.

There is one more photo at 6.20pm when she started and seven more taken after up till 7.01pm.

Radar

It may be a satellite not naked eye but the image to me looked closer than out of atmosphere. I know I have no idea what it is but it doesn't rule out the fact that it could be just a satellite.

Hi Duffy here is some info for you.

What is it???? mmmmm this is a 6 can thinking job, will get back to you.

Regards Ian

Hi Ray,

If you look at the shot below this is the 3rd one posted by Duffy,

After a bit of enhancement we start to get some stars coming out

You would expect this for a 4 sec exposure, as I do not know the southern sky’s as you do if you can find something in there that should not not be there then this could be another “bug”, the first shot is of course taken without flash so even if something is there we get no reflection, sorry this is about as far as I can go with this.

Good luck

Ian

Thanks guys for all your efforts to work out what was taken by my parents.

It was a interesting photo that my folks had no answer for as to what it was so any help was appreciated.

Ian...............If the flash has gone off like you said than it would be a fair chance of a insect of some type being lit up in the shot. That time of the day there would be hundreds of them flying around just befor dark. It makes sence to me that one got his mug shot on camera.

Cheers again

Duffy

Hi Duffy, well im sorry to say that it looks like a bug, I would love to find one that will prove that we are not alone, but hay some time, some place, the info from the pics is right. All Olympus cameras, digital that is, imbed in the file a code that gives all the shooting info just feed the pics into Olympus master 2 and up it comes.

Good pics.

Regards Ian

G'day Duffy,

Any chance we can get an idea of how long the exposure was for?

My first answer would be a satellite that was not naked eye, but visible to a CCD chip.

Ray

Interesting. I've had a play with the image & the object is certainly disk shaped. It is distinctly out of focus (telling us it was a lot closer to us than infinity) or it is motion blur.

Doraminder

If you go back to the first page you will see a responce by Ian on this subject. He has a attachment for the the three photo's with all the camera information that may give you some insight on what it may or may not be.