The apparent magnitude (m) of a celestial body is a measure of its brightness as seen by an observer on Earth, normalized to the value it would have in the absence of the atmosphere. The brighter the object appears, the lower the value of its magnitude.

I am wondering why you keep preaching to the converted here?

This person is what we call a stage 5 spammer Shane.

"Stage 5" meaning = that some forums require a minimum of 5 posts before a link can be placed in a signature (such as my links below).

The 5 post requirement hampers some spammers, but others are persistent. Their persistence is short lived though, because myself and Pitbull Pat delete their links and some threads within a few hours.

I wish those poor spammers luck elsewhere. It must be a shallow life. :biggrin:

Ray

It must be a shallow life. :biggrin:

Ray

Not unlike us lurkers, which is what i've been feeling like lately with my lack of contributions. Oh well, summers around the corner for me which should get me out more often since we just bought a camper and will be spending most of our time in the bush. Winter really put a damper on things this year. I'm not as hardcore as i used to be toughing the cold.

Unfortunately and with great disappointment not a single thing. Most of which was due to the longest lenght of time i've seen go by without a clear sky. I've been really hoping to see something since manning the scope during winter has been fairly unbareable and it's nothing to grab a couple of snaps of those beauties. And there's nothing like being properly bundled up equiped with a warm drink to enjoy a show for an hour or so. Maybe next year.

And by the way i've been around here and there just havent felt sociable enough to post anything. Can never abandon MAS.

Cheers y'all.

Photo's of the Aurora please Saj or I release the moderator!

:

I've been working on it. Continuously updating myself with SpaceWeather.com and poking my head out any time the sky is clear. Been getting emails from them once in a while alerting me of Aurora activity, but nada, nothing, zilch.

Trust me, first chance i get i'd be posting them here first. In the meantime, please keep the mods at bay,:Oh_No: i swear i'll deliver ASAP.

Oh, youre in Timmins! I think I was there once, in summer. Sorry, I mean blackfly season. It does get cold, doesn't it. The coldest we got this year was about -13. We haven't gotten into the -20s for a few years. With my old bones, I don't go out at -10 unless there is something really spectacular going on, and I don't go out below -10 at all. Well, maybe -15 occasionally. Most of this winter we had clouds.

I was going to laugh at you for complaining about the cold in winter in Australia!

I was going to laugh at you for complaining about the cold in winter in Australia!

This winter wasn't much to complain about in Timmins either mind you. It's been exceptionally mild with the snow gone about a month and a half ahead of schedule. But regardless, i couldn't be bothered to wear gloves while working with the equipment (for obvious reasons) and it doesn't take long to freeze when you're handling steel in sub zero temperatures of any degree.

And by the way, hello neighbor!

Cheers.

I sometimes wear those thin stretch gloves they sell in the dollar stores. They do make your hands a little warmer, and are just enough to keep your fingers from direct contact with knobs, without losing control of them.