Sign in to follow this  
Astrolounge

Aluminium 8" Astrograph

l decieded to build myself an 8" scope primarily for reasonable wide field imaging at a medium f5 ratio.

l rolled an aluminium tube from .8 sheet and machined the rings from 20mm plate, making them with flat angles allows the mounting of side plates for easier attachment of other accessories such as the Stellavue 13x80 finder which will be fitted to this scope.

the scope was finished in white 2 pack baked enamel.

Mate that is a pretty decent effort. If I had those skills I'd probably always be trying to build something bigger. It would be a never ending cycle.

I shouldn't ask, but I will, how did you roll the tube?

Ray

That's lovely work! Do you keep the tools at home, or do you do this for a living and make telescopes when the boss isn't looking?

If you can indulge a foolish question, what is the difference between an 8" f/5 astrograph and an 8" f/5 Newt?

Cheers,

thanks guys, Ray, l have a rolling machine at work that we use for making body panels for custom cars and hot rods.

Warthog, actually l am the boss so it makes things a little easier, there is no real difference between the two except an astrograph is dedicated to astrophotography as opposed to strictly visual. there is no need for extension tubes as the tube is made to come to focus with the camera and the tube is also fully baffled where a normal newt tube is not.

Mate would you be interested in giving us a step by step process. We'd love to put this in a tutorial.

Ray

The Boss

thanks guys, Ray, l have a rolling machine at work that we use for making body panels for custom cars and hot rods.

Warthog, actually l am the boss so it makes things a little easier, there is no real difference between the two except an astrograph is dedicated to astrophotography as opposed to strictly visual. there is no need for extension tubes as the tube is made to come to focus with the camera and the tube is also fully baffled where a normal newt tube is not.

I agree, would love to hear how you went about it all. But many thanks for the shots, could be a second business with that quality!!:bow:

Jim