Sign in to follow this  
Brianon

ISS Great view

Just had an awesome view of the ISS pass over Perth Sunday night.

It keeps looking better/brighter each time. Would love a seat on the

porch when they add it.:smile:Good detail to be seen if you can catch

it with a scope.I had a 10" newt on dob mount view,as I said if you can

keep up with it.Did anyone get a peek? Thanks to Heavens above for

ISS pass info :thumbsupmate:

We haven't had an ISS pass here in Northern Canada for well over a week now. But prior to that it's passes were spectacular. It's been so bright in the recent past that i continually doubt myself that it is in fact the ISS until i refer to heavens-above as confirmation. One instance, a friend and i were doing experimental photography with Iridium flares when the ISS passed, at the brightest i've ever seen it with flares and all. We got so mesmerized that it distracted us from the initial Iridium flare we were out to get. Turned out to be quited a comical seeing two grown men on a roof getting all excited things flying by in the night sky.

Either way though, when it returns, and it should soon, i was planning on glancing it for the first time with one of my scopes. Any advice on what would serve me best? 8" reflector, ED80? What kind of magnification?

Cheers.

I read somewhere that the new solar panels will increase the brightness of the space station. It has obvioulsy worked. Have not seen it recently though.

Pete

What a wonderful site. The ISS went over when I was in Boston about two weeks ago....FIRST TIME EVER for me!!! lol It was just after 8 PM. As it traversed above, it just started to go dim half way through its travel overhead,then...nothing. It just disappeared, no clouds.....suspected that the eath's shadow hid it from the sun's reflection upon it. What a beautiful site. A week later, I called my folk's in Texas to let'em know it was headed thier way.....they also were amazed by it. (It was sceduled to be at 87....almost directly straight overhead) They couldn't believe how bright it was. I've got an 80mm ED refractor....but I'm sure I'm needing something that catches more light. A large casagrain or dob would probably catch it IF you could keep the scope aligned.

have not looked for ISS for some time. Been too cold for these old bones to even poke my head out of the door, especially on clear nights of which there have not been many this winter.:biggrin:

But yes, they said it would be much brighter as various bits and pieces are added to it.

Cheers.

I've tried chasing it some time back with my 12" dob and found I was too busy moving the scope to even try to focus. All I saw was a bright cylindrical blob of light (moving very fast!) Still quite impressive though.

Even my 20x80's don't reveal much detail.

Or is it just my old eyes? :smile:

Earlier this week, NASA released an amazing photograph of an eruption of Sarychev Peak Volcano, you can view from ISS websites , taken by astronauts aboard the orbiting International Space Station (ISS). Seeing that great photo prompted me to dig into the archives and see what other imagery I could find from recent NASA archives. you can Collect here are a handful of photographs of Sarychev Peak Volcano, and more, taken by astronauts aboard the ISS over the past few months.