Sign in to follow this  
stevec

New Image: Ngc 2997

Wow Steve, exactly where on the Hubble website do you download these from again? :biggrin:

You have captured some awesome spiral structure on that galaxy. The dust lanes at the centre seem to jump out at me more on this photo for some reason. Also there is an abundance of background galaxies in there to.

Now for the technical question. What exactly is synthetic luminance?

Ray

Thanks Radar. Synthetic luminance is just where you add your R,G,B exposures in the correct proportion to the true luminance in the luminance channel. The luminance channel is where the resolution comes from in a LRGB image and increasing the signal there enables you to process more aggressively.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Baz. I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if you are talking about the contrast I think you are correct in saying that there's definitely room for improvement there. I'm working on that right now.

Cheers

Steve

That's quite stunning clarity and nice contrast of colour! Very nice. Nice star colour too.

My only hesitation is around the brightness of the core - it looks like the centre of the galaxy should be brighter, it's almost like the blue arms are brighter than the centre, which looks a little wrong to my eye.

Roger.

Thanks guys. Roger, you make a valid point there and I'll look at my processing again. I guess I was trying to emphasize the detail near the core but may have screwed up the brightness levels in doing so. NGC 2997 is not an easy galaxy because of its low surface brightness and I don't think it's a good subject for my light polluted back yard.

Cheers

Steve

Baz

Thank you for the kind words. I never once took your comments as criticism! Perfectly valid feedback as far as I'm concerned. In any case I've produced another version which I hope may address some concerns. The image still doesn't look quite right to me but I can't quite put my finger on it. I got some H alpha data last night and may produce an enhanced hydrogen version if I think it's justified.

Cheers

Steve

http://members.pcug.org.au/~stevec/ngc2997_STL11K_RC.htm

Nice job on the blooming stars on this iteration. The color balance is nothing short of excellent, (as was the first one.) Are you using PS2 for the final tweaking?

The reason I ask is...the other evening I was bored, so I actually downloaded the image and played with it alittle bit. I didn't save it, but there were only two actions in PS3 I used just a touch of, that made what I felt like an acceptable difference, without it looking like it was over-processed.

Cheers, Tim.

Thanks Tim. I'm using PS3. I have the Noel Carboni actions but I tend to use them sparingly as I find that while some are quite useful, others make no difference at all. I would certainly be interested in knowing what you used. I would be the first to acknowledge that I should be better at image processing than I actually am.

Cheers

Steve