Sign in to follow this  
Paramount

NGC 7635 "Bubble Nebula" + companions in Ha

Hi All

It turned out to be a nice clear night last night despite the weather forecast and apart from a couple of small clouds passing across the imaging area at 2.30am it was clear. After having difficulty getting an acurate polar alignment (some stupid burk left the illuminated reticule eyepiece switched on from last week and the battery was as flat as stale beer) I decided to have a go at the Bubble nebula as there is a lot going on in a widefield shot of this subject. The image is made up of 18x10 minutes unguided with a 13nm Ha filter

Equipment used was

TMB 115 f7 with field flattener

Starlight Xpress H36

FLI filter wheel

Paramount ME

I have enclosed the widefield with all the companions and a cropped closeup to show just the Bubble Nebula and M 52. I had to use the lowest quality setting in Photoshop to get the size down so better quality images can be seen on my website http://www.imagingtheheavens.co.uk

Thanks for looking

Best wishes and more clear skies

Gordon

:smile:

bubbleHa.jpg

bubbleHacrop.jpg

Awesome work Gordon. So much to see in that area. What is the bright nebula top left?

Cheers

Ray

Hi Ray

Thanks for the comments, the bright nebula you are asking about is NGC 7538 which is just in the constellation Cepheus

Best wishes

Gordon

Im sooooo impressed with that one Gordon.

You have to get pic of the week with that one mate.

Have you tried doing a HA colored version, would look smick i think .

Do like the momochrome but!!:biggrin:

Clear Skies

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the comments, I will have a go at adding some Ha "false colour" using Noel's tools in Photoshop to see what it looks like, if it is any good I will post it on my site so you can have a look.

Best wishes

Gordon

Excellent shot Gordon!:bow::bow::bow:

Gotta love the scale of that camera...

What's funny, is I just finished processing 45min of luminence and 80min of ha on this object, was gonna post it, when I logged in and found this....:crazy:

Maybe after I gather another 6hrs of data THEN I'll post it :biggrin: Mine's a little... 'weak'. The 'bubble', is a lot fainter than I thought.

Top job!

Cheers, :smile:

Excellent shot Gordon!:bow::bow::bow:

Gotta love the scale of that camera...

What's funny, is I just finished processing 45min of luminence and 80min of ha on this object, was gonna post it, when I logged in and found this....:crazy:

Maybe after I gather another 6hrs of data THEN I'll post it :biggrin: Mine's a little... 'weak'. The 'bubble', is a lot fainter than I thought.

Top job!

Cheers, :smile:

Hi

Thanks very much for the comments, camera is great, it is really satisfying when you finally get some pieces of equipment that really work together well and I certainly find that with the TMB/H36 combination, the Paramount doesn't need any mentioning as it speaks for itself but the camera/scope combination that I am using gives really good widefields, but at the same time because of the huge pixel count on the camera and the quality of the optics on the scope I am able to crop and enlarge without losing quality.

Regarding your exposure of the same subject you didn't say what length subframes you were using. When using Ha the minimum should be 10 minutes but ideally longer, I am using 10 minutes as I haven't started using autoguiding yet but as soon as I do that I will be aiming for 20 to 30 minutes per subframe. I found that my raw subframes when downloading to the laptop screen showed quite a bit of detail, all of the bubble could be detected as well as the bright nebula in the top of the image and M52 could be seen clearly as well and you could even start to make out the fainter nebula in the right and left of the image. I would also say to try and do at least 3 hours total exposure (more would be better) for each narrowband channel as that will enable you to push it more aggressively in the processing to get the detail to show. As I am concentrating mainly on Ha at the moment I try for at least 18x10 minutes in subframes which gives me 3 hours of exposure which is just about right in the summer months as that is about the length of imaging time available.

Best wishes

Gordon

:smile: