Sign in to follow this  
Adrianf

Dodgy scopes

I have been asked over the last couple of days by 2 seperate people if I can have a look at their telescopes, one is a neighbour and one is a business person I come into contact with regularly. Apparently neither of the 2 people can see anything through the eyepieces even during daylight. The two scopes, which I havent yet seen, have both been described as a long tube with a lense on one end and a movable eyepiece on the other so I would assume they are refractors, neither apparently have a brand on them, I assume dept store, and it would appear that they have been bought from the same place via mail order but not from eBay, some dealer(?) in Brisbane who no longer answers phone calls or letters, emails just bounce. One of these people are looking for reciepts etc so I can have a look at who sold them the scopes. The scopes where bought at christmas 2006.

I think if we looked close enough they are probably branded "Dodgy Bro Inc"

As anyone heard about anything like this before?

Adrian

Yep, Ebay is full of them!!!! :crazy:

I don't know who the particular 'no reply' dealer is that you refer to, but there are several.

I get asked a few times a year to help people with these scopes.

They bring the scope to my place, I fiddle and adjust and get it the best I can (which is terrible), then show them what the objects SHOULD look like through my Dob.

Not always, but often they say stuff like "I'll chuck this thing out and get one of those" :biggrin:

Be subtle and diplomatic when you explain to them that their scope is absolute crap. :wink:

Hey no problems there. The neighbour as already looked through my 10" Dob and asked if I wanted to swap, I will have to be extremely diplomatic to the business person as my employment needs to have all business persons on side. According to my neighbour the scope did not come through eBay.

Adrian

Shame people are out there doing this kind of thing. It's hard enough for beginners to get into astronomy, without this type of thing.

Can you get a photo of one of these scopes Adrian?

Ray

As soon as either the neighbour retrieves it from his shed or the business person brings the scope to me I will take photos and post them here.

The info I got last night was there was a flyer put into peoples letterboxes with a website and phone number, they thought it was a great idea and paid their $200 + freight thinking it was a great idea for their kids.

Adrian

As soon as either the neighbour retrieves it from his shed or the business person brings the scope to me I will take photos and post them here.

The info I got last night was there was a flyer put into peoples letterboxes with a website and phone number, they thought it was a great idea and paid their $200 + freight thinking it was a great idea for their kids.

Adrian

$200!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :I_ANGR~14:

Geez, the ones I was talking about are only $80 or so.

What a ripoff merchant!!!!!! :crazy:

Site advertising

As a serious site for amatuer astronomers should we promote dodgy scopes

ie: ad on home page

Telescopes For Sale

Buy Amazing Reflecting Telescopes. Earn CrazyPoints & Save Money Now!

www.CrazySales.com.au/Telescopes

Learn Digital Photography

Take Awesome Photos Easily And Quickly. Download Free PDF Guide!

LearnDigitalPhotographyNow.com

10 Rules of Flat Stomach

Cut Off 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Keeping these 10 Rules.

FatLoss4Idiots.com

Free Astro Boy Ringtone

Grab a free Astro Boy SMS alert for your Aussie Mobile now

www.bestnoveltytones.com

Scopes from $13

:confused:

Telescopes For Sale

10 Rules of Flat Stomach

FatLoss4Idiots.com

Free Astro Boy Ringtone

www.bestnoveltytones.com

Scopes from $13

That would be there because Ray has Google Ads on the site, and he has no control over what Google advertises there.

Pity, coz you make a very good point :thumbsupmate:

Telescopes For Sale

10 Rules of Flat Stomach

FatLoss4Idiots.com

Free Astro Boy Ringtone

www.bestnoveltytones.com

Scopes from $13

Good point.

That would be there because Ray has Google Ads on the site, and he has no control over what Google advertises there.

Pity, coz you make a very good point :thumbsupmate:

I can fix this. Google has a feature.

Ray

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Once had to remove a nice new digicam lens cap for someone who honestly looked like their IQ was bigger than their boot size.

(please don't let it be so)

Kev

Here is the $200 scope in all its glory. It looks like one I bought for my Grandson from Crazy Clarks for $50. What a ripoff. It is a 3 inch refractor with 3 X 0.95" eyepieces 25mm, 20mm and 12.5mm

Anyway I got the thing working in about 5.5 mins, 4.5mins of talking to owner and 30 secs to realise that a inner cap on the eyepiece has been left in and 30 secs to get photo. And for that I get a 1/2 size bottle of Bundy Rum (yum).

Adrian

Many a true word oft spoken in jest!

Oh dear...

Makes for a brighter Monday morning at least. ROFL

Kev

(and, it's my wife who claims psychic abilities LOL)

Yes it does make for a brighter day the owner of the scope just brought me a 700ml Bundy NICE!!

My wifes Psychic abilities increases exponentially with my desire to buy stuff the more I want more she reads my mind.

Adrian

Off topic?

Yes it does make for a brighter day the owner of the scope just brought me a 700ml Bundy NICE!!

My wifes Psychic abilities increases exponentially with my desire to buy stuff the more I want more she reads my mind.

Adrian

Is this an astronomy or astrology forum?

Spirits and psychics - scary stuff.

Could be a useful new phrase, you heard it here first!

show a blinding lack of insight and be told....

"remove yer lens cap"

LOL

Enjoy your communion with the spirits.

Kev

"remove yer lens cap"

lol, there is something about leaving the lens cap on that screams the word "noob". But in saying that, I'm sure I've done this once or twice.

Ray - "Why can I not see anything"

The Missus - "I think the lens cap is on honey"

Ray (Embarrassed) - "Don't be ridiculous, that's the um, err, a special filter":biggrin:

Ray

Here is the $200 scope in all its glory. It looks like one I bought for my Grandson from Crazy Clarks for $50. What a ripoff. It is a 3 inch refractor with 3 X 0.95" eyepieces 25mm, 20mm and 12.5mm

Adrian

Yep, that's the exact same scope as you can get for $80.

Man, that is a total ripoff!!!! Even at $80 they are a ripoff, but at $200 it should be illegal! :crazy:

OK I am now responsible for all of the clouds over Oz My friendly neighbour gave me the telescope and the rum but I have to share the rum with him on the weekend. I think I can live with that. I can see plants growing out of the OTA in a corner somewhere.

Adrian