Sign in to follow this  
hpcoolahan

advise for new obsv in yamba

Hi there again guys.

Ihave a question to pose ..... in the new observatory i was thinking of using those 12v LED decklights (red of course) mounted into the wall at dome level.

Has anyone out there used these before ,if so how good are they.

Any other light ideas would be apreciated.

Patrick C :duh:

Red LED LIghts

I have a set of red LED rope lights (Xmas lights) around the base (floor level) of my dome about 12 metres, They now have a front baffle so the light is reflected from the wall, this works very well for me as I do mostly imaging and with the mass of cables around the place, I need some light.

They are mains operated and of the type that allow them to be joined together to increase their length. Plugged into a Variac mains transformer to control brightness, they work like a dream. Also very handy when I have several visitors in the dome. I also have them outside the dome on the pathway leading to the dome, again as an aid over uneven ground for visitors.

I see no reason why you can't use the 12Volt lights with success.

Clear skies...

re led lights

Thanks shevill , i thought then might work ok, just want to see if there where any other ideas out there, yours souns like a good set up.

claer skies from up north

Patrick coolahan

Hi hpcoolahan,

I guess you are referring to the Red ( port - left ) navigation lights available for small boats.

I have LED navigation lights fitted to my boat and they are very efficient, providing a bright light with low power usage.

They should do the job very well as they spread the light in a defined 112 degree arc, so provided you mount them so the light beam is not on your telescope and work area I think they would be fine.

Cheers,

Space Dog.

Hi Pat, I just want to add something. Even though you are using red lights, they should still be as dim as possible. Many people think that because their lights are red that their dark adapted vision will not be impaired, which is false. This is why those red torches that get sold for astronomy have a dimmer switch. So in saying that, try not to use any more LEDS than you need to mate. Keep it dark.

re lights

thanks radar, i was planning on using 2 red LED decklights and having 2 white Led decklights on the compass points opposed, on seperate on/off switches.

So if u need heaps of light, well,, u got it.

I also believe you can have those type of house deck lights on a dimmer as well.:Chessy_Smile:

Did you get those plans open mate???

Patrick

Clear skies

Hi Pat, dimmer switches are the way to go. Nice.

I meant to open those plans last night but I have been doing a lot of overtime this week and haven't had much time at my computer. I'll take a look at them later this evening and get back to you.

Cheers

Radar