Sign in to follow this  
Mick

The Art thread

Good thread and I agree Mick, great art, but a bit confusing.........I had been searching for images of the "Mythological killing of a Triffid" cos' of your other posts. :duh: :wink:

And your 'sig'. Am I the only one who doesn't get it, or the only one who has noticed it. :pipethinker: :pipethinker:

If it's the former then put me out of my misery, if the latter then give US a clue...................

Awesome art work. I love this kinda stuff.

Scream is a classic. It makes me think of someone who is going through complete despair (an astrophotographer having usb connection problems maybe?:biggrin: )

skrik_artik.jpg

OK gyro the Sig is a, well mistake I cut and pasted some japanese writing and it came out like that? I kinder liked it so I left it as is.

As for Mythological killings I also like Guido Reni's David and Goliath.

I see the Scream has made an impression on you Ray.

A Rodin sculptor and thinker..

What do you make of the attached by Lawrence Argent?

That sure is a huge piece of art. I wonder what the meaning is. A big bear peering through a window.

My first interpreatation was big brother is watching you. But why the bear? So this interpreatation doesn't work.

Anyone?

Maybe the polar bear is the environment, out in the cold just waiting and watching and trying to find a way into our crystal palace. Look out when the blue bear finally gets in.

This "modern public space art" doesn't appeal, too deep, (even Henry Moore...for my sins).

I'll have to stick to the classics where there is a good dose of violence and the odd good looking Sheila. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Titian's a fav'.

This has always been my favourite painting (The Marriage of Giovanni Arnolfini and Giovanna Cenami), because Jan van Eyck (the artist) painted himself in the reflection in the Convex mirror on the wall behind them!!!

And this painting was their (Arnolfini and Cenami) actual Wedding Certificate. You can also see the Witness of the Wedding in the mirror next to van Eyck!

"The mirror is painted with almost miraculous skill. Its carved frame is inset with ten miniature medallions depicting scenes from the life of Christ. Yet more remarkable is the mirror's reflection, which includes van Eyck's own tiny self-portrait, accompanied by another man who may have been the official witness to the ceremony".

Above the mirror is the artist’s calligraphic signature in Latin that reads “Johannes de eyck fuit hic” or “Jan van Eyck was here.”

I agree Ken, great art; but every time I see this pic' I wonder about the brides posture and left hand......she looks about 8 months gone....which is unlikely given the times......

I agree Ken' date=' great art; but every time I see this pic' I wonder about the brides posture and left hand......she looks about 8 months gone....which is unlikely given the times......[/quote']No, she isn't pregnant. She is holding the gown up off the floor with her left hand :biggrin:

If this is the Art thread, I should throw in some of my own Art.

I enjoy sketching.

Here is one of my son Jake, a self-portrait, and one of the Whirlpool Galaxy :smile:

Holy cow Ken, not to bad at all. What else you hiding? :biggrin:

Anymore?

Thanks Ray.

Yep, plenty more but I haven't scanned them into the pooter. The other portraits are framed and hanging in the loungeroom. Others are tucked away in a box somewhere.

That first one of my son Jake is a terrible scan. It was done on an old scanner I had. Now I have this new scanner I should try it again. I might even scan all of them one weekend :tongue: