Sign in to follow this  
A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Rebuilding old scope.

Well, I spent another ten hours today on rebuilding/restoring the old With-Browning telescope. It is starting to take shape now.

Ron will post the details I sent him on anitquescopes later tomorrow I should think.

Still a ways to go though.

Baz.

2lo2lcg.jpg

Hi Matt,

The telescope itself is dated at 1878. I really cant do it justice here, but my good friend Ron, the actual owner of the scope has devoted an entire website to this scope and others like it, (and there aren't many left in the world)

Heres the links all about it, but if you leave this website, make sure you come back!!!

Toungue in cheek Ray, LOL:rulez:

http://www.antiquescopes.com/Antiquescopes.aspx

http://www.antiquescopes.com/Restoration.aspx

Well, I have had a few big days on the old scope. Lots of painting lately, as well as completing a handle, finderscope mounts built from scratch, a totally rebuilt secondary assembly and the altitude fine-adjustment wheel.

More details on antiquescopes.com

Baz.

Some is restored old brass, a lot is new brass parts made by taking scaled measurements from old photographs, along with a bit of historic information on commonly available imperial standards of the time.

Holy cow Baz, that is an awesome effort. Looks great. How long until you get to road test it?

Ray

DUSTY WORK!! Cough, sneeze, splutter....

I got a lot of work done on the old scope today, including carving out the mold for the cast iron pour for the lower half of the mount.

25h1v9u.jpg

Lovely work mate. Can't wait to see how it performs. They definitely don't make them like that anymore.

Ray

Hi Baz,

That's some excellent woodworking you've got going on there...That's going to be one beautiful scope when you get her finished.

What's the focal length on that behemoth?

Cheers:smile:

Hi Baz,

That's some excellent woodworking you've got going on there...That's going to be one beautiful scope when you get her finished.

What's the focal length on that behemoth?

Cheers:smile:

Five foot ten inches mate. Nine and a quarter inch mirror.

Completed!

Well, the last bits are done and installed. I drove up to Sydney to return it to it's owner and my good friend, Ron.

What a challenge and journey it has been for almost two years! I have Ron to thank for entrusting me with this task. I learned so much about how things used to be done over a century ago, all by hand.

FANTASTIC. Now I can sleep for a few nights before I get onto the next project.....

2vj4phj.jpg