Sign in to follow this  
rogerg

Suffering podcast withdrawal and insurance company annoyance

My Creative Zen W media player broke 5 weeks ago - something went wrong with the earphone plug so I couldn't plug headphones in.

Sent it off to the repairer (creative) at the request of the extended warranty company 4 weeks ago now. You wouldn't believe how disorganised and crap they have been. Still waiting to find out if I'll be getting a new one or it repaired :frown:

I've rung them and creative about 10 times. Creative's been great, very good support, but we've both been stuffed arround by the extended warranty company who seems happy to sit around waiting for every for things to be sorted out.

Last week they finally made progress, having the hide to offer me a replacement ipod :crazy: You've got to be joking, the spec's weren't any match.

Still waiting.

So in the mean time... no nasa vodcasts, no AstronomyCast, no ABC StarStuff, no Cook and The Chef, no New Inventors.... my drives to work are just so much more boring.

I wonder how much longer I'll be waiting... :crazy:

I'm not sure about the extended warranty thing now. This was the first time I'd ever purchased extended warranty, and I did need to use it, but is it worth it, I don't know. I think I could've paid about $150 locally to have it fixed within a few days.

Roger.

Thats some bad news there mate , hope it all goes well for you soon.

I still wonder about the extended warranty thing too.

Keep us posted

Cheers

Patrick

How annoying. Companies are all smiles and handshakes when you are buying, but when you are coming back for a warranty or return, well that's another story.

With podcasts, how do they work? Do you download them off the net first, them listen to them in the car? I don't own an IPOD yet, but I sure would like one.

Ray

Ray,

First things first - you don't need an IPod or even a personal media player (PMP) to listen to "Podcasts".

All podcasts are is a combination of two things:

1) an "RSS" feed which is a feed of information that tells your computer of new information as it becomes available (in the case of podcasts, new sound or video files being available).

2) a sound or video file containing the content.

What happens is you use some sort of "RSS feed manager" kind of software, such as iTunes or ZenCast Organiser, or one of the millions others out there, to effectively "bookmark" the RSS feeds (the podcasts). Then on a regular basis your software checks the feeds for updates. When one's available, you ask it to download it (or have it set to do that automatically). Then you have the next "podcast episode".

Once you have the sound or video file on your computer you can then either play it on your computer (using media player or whatever) or transfer it to your PMP which might happen to be an iPod, or a Zen, or a Cowon or a Archos, or ....

The actual episodes are just media files like any other media file. Depending on the "podcast" the format varies - sometimes MP3, or WMA, or MP4, or whatever. Often when transferring to your PMP your PMP's software will need to convert the media file into a format it likes, but that's all automated from my experience.

The term "podcast" is often used to encompas both "podcasts" and "vodcasts". Strictly speaking a podcast is audio only, a vodcast is video and audio.

Example podcasts:

Astronomy Cast (astronomycast.com)

ABC's StarStuff (available via ABC website)

Example vodcasts:

NASA/ESA HubbleCast

Various NASA feeds (lots of them)

TV episodes such as Cook and The Chef, New Inventors, Catalyst, etc.

I hope I've summarised it all correctly :smile:

Rog.

I've been waiting 3 weeks for delivery of my replacment player. It was supposed to be here in 2-4 weeks.

So I rung up today...

Turns out, it's still waiting on more paperwork! it's not even on it's way!!! :crazy:

The paper work these idiots have been waiting on from each other over the last 2 MONTHS is amazing :confused: :confused:

... one day, one day.... It'll get sorted out... maybe...

really sick of the extended warranty company which seems happy to sit on their ass doing nothing waiting for ever :crazy:

when you buy something from somewhere, they are your best friend, but having a warranty claim or a return, and they don't want to know you. shops that smile when i'm returning or changing something will get my money again and again.

I've been waiting 3 weeks for delivery of my replacment player. It was supposed to be here in 2-4 weeks.

So I rung up today...

Turns out, it's still waiting on more paperwork! it's not even on it's way!!! :crazy:

The paper work these idiots have been waiting on from each other over the last 2 MONTHS is amazing :confused: :confused:

... one day, one day.... It'll get sorted out... maybe...

really sick of the extended warranty company which seems happy to sit on their ass doing nothing waiting for ever :crazy:

put it in a pod cast and send it to them.........