Sign in to follow this  
Space Dog

Mounting a second Finderscope on a Dobsonion Telescope

I have recently purchased my first Telescope ( 200mm Dobsonion ) that came with a Right-Angle correct Image Finderscope, which works well except for the initial orientation of the scope on the target area.

I plan to mount a Red Dot Reflex Finder beside the existing finder-scope to provide easier orientation of the main scope.

Are there any pitfalls / problems that I should be aware of before I embark on this modification?

Hi Space Dog,

As long as the finder scope is not overly heavy (which it wouldn't be) then you should be fine.

Having two finderscopes is a good idea. When I do astrophotography, I have a finderscope on one side of my main imaging scope, and another finderscope on the other side of my guide-scope. These are the standard finderscopes that came with the equipment, but it makes life so much easier to always have one which is easily accessible.

I can't see an issue for mounting two on your DOB.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forums mate.:thumbsupmate:

Ray

Hello and welcome SDog, no problems that I can see. The red dot is light so weight shouldn't be an issue. I love having a Telrad on my Dob as well as the straight through finder, dew is the only problem. :cool!:

Mick.

Thankyou Radar and Mick for your quick replies.

I will go ahead and mount the Red Dot Reflex Finder when I obtain a Dovetail Base to attach to the Dobsonion Telescope.

If I have a problem with the extra weight I will make a counter weight using a bag of lead shot and fridge magnets and attach it at the mirror end of the scope.