Sign in to follow this  
Paramount

Noisy Flaming Star Nebula in Ha

Hi all

Finally there has been a bit of clear weather where I live, albeit for half a night. I didn't get out till late so I had a go at IC 405 (flaming star nebula) with my trusty Ha filter. As with previous Ha images I used 10 minute subframes unguided. I only managed 6 subframes as it was getting very close to the horizon where there was some cloud creeping up hence the image being quite noisy.

TMB 115 with Starlight Xpress H36 and Astronomik 13nm Ha filter on Paramount ME unguided, simple autodark subtraction done in Maxim DL, with curves, levels and contrast done in Photoshop CS2.

There is a better quality image on my website http://www.imagingtheheavens.co.uk

Regards

Gordon :smile:

IC405.jpg

Still can't beleive how good those paramount mounts are.

Nice image Gordon, but you are right, it does have a little grain. The starlight express cameras are quite noiseless from what I've seen. Could this noise have been introduced during the processing side of things?

Ray

Hi Ray

Thanks for the comments. I think the graininess is a combination of the following

1. Not long enough for each subframe, may try 20 minute subs next time

2. Not enough subframes, ideally I like to use at least 20 to help smooth the image but conditions were against me this time

3. My poor processing skills, I think I clipped the black point which didn't help

The Paramount ME is better than you can possibly imagine, bear in mind I am still using it straight out of the box, ie no PEC and very basic settings when doing a mapping run. After doing two 15 star mapping runs I can get within 10 arcseconds (within a sixth of an arc minute) of the pole. This takes me less than 30 minutes to do. You can't get that accurate with drift alignment after 2 hours. Richard Crisp of Narrowband Imaging fame suggests I try 20 minute sub frames as the Periodic error of the Paramount is so negligable (as can be seen from the images). How long I can track unguided will depend on the weather ie clouds and how accurate my polar alignment is.

Regards

Gordon

:bow: :bow: :bow: as far as your image is concerned

as for a mount that allows 20 minute unguided exposures

The Paramount ME is better than you can possibly imagine,

from dictionary.com

par·a·mount /ˈpærəˌmaʊnt/ Pronunciation Key - Pronunciation[par-uh-mount]

–adjective

1. chief in importance or impact; supreme; preeminent: a point of paramount significance.

2. above others in rank or authority; superior in power or jurisdiction.

–noun

Hi Astrogirl

It's a beautiful image!

I don't think I've ever seen this one before. What is it like visually?

When I first saw the image download I wasn't sure whether it was going to turn out to be good enough to post but the more I looked at it the more I liked it, as for visually, I would stand no chance where I live even with seriously big optics and I am not sure how easy it would be to see even from a very dark site with the right filters as it is relatively faint.

Regards

Gordon:smile: