Sign in to follow this  
Saj

Disappointment Easily Overcome

So it's easy to be slightly disappointed when you're hoping to take out the scope because you can be out all night with you're kids spending the night at your mother's and sitting in your basement the forecast according to the Clear Sky Clock for your area is calling for mild clouds with horrible seeing. But things change fast when you step outside to find this. It pays to look for yourself sometimes.

Now i want to go visit Canada and my Aunt again.

I had forgotten how beautiful it can be.

Thanks Saj for those stunning pics.

By the way Radar , its always in motion to , that part makes it more amazing mate.

Cheers

Patrick

Auroral Displays over Southern Tasmania

Hi Pat,

No need to go up north, just a short trip to southern Tasmania the views are spectacular.

Note* My auroral images are taken with very short exposures (5 seconds) to record the actual detail. which is blended & lost in longer exposures, which does produce more spectacular looking images, which I will do one day.

See Link for a few images: http://picasaweb.google.com/AstroTasmania/AuroraAustralisFromSouthernTasmaniaCopyright

Clear skies...

I might have to pay you a visit one day Shevill , thats amazing mate.

Thats a good collection you have there , how often do you see it in the sky?

Isw it a regular occurance?

Cheers

Patrick

Aurora Australis

Hi Pat,

Depends entirely on solar activity and whether CME's are ejected from the sun in our direction. Obviously a lot more frequent during the more active part of the sun spot cycle, currently at its lowest!!!

Clear skies...

yeah...me too...

Never seen any aror..aruar....lights in the sky like that. I heard they can come as far north as Canberra, but in three years here, I have yet to be stunned.

Beautiful!

Baz.

Yeah I'd love to take a trip to Tazzy sometime and see this for myself. Great shots Shev.

Ray

Note* My auroral images are taken with very short exposures (5 seconds) to record the actual detail. which is blended & lost in longer exposures, which does produce more spectacular looking images, which I will do one day.

Being the first opportunity to take such photographs, and running between my film camera and the digital at hand, i only realized this once i got home. Also with the digital i have at the moment, any faster exposure would have required a faster "film speed" which tends to be extremely grainy on my camera.

Non the less i don't think anything other than living the true experience can capture what it truely has to offer. This night in particular had the lights streaming in between and thru wispy clouds which only enhanced the effect. Almost like a natural outdoor discotec.

I would highly suggest making the effort to experience it in your southern hemisphere. I've been using the Spaceweather.com forecasts lately which have been suprisingly accurate. I believe forcasts for your area are also available at the site.

Cheers.

Auroral Displays

Hi Saj,

Yes, a lot depends on the camera, whether film or digital and the make of digital SLR. Now that I have a Canon 350D modified for H-alpha and cooled, plus a Nikon D50 modified with no filter for Infra-Red etc, plus my Nikon D200 & D300 DSLR's, I am well set up to do a wide range of auroral activity shots, when we have a, clear skies, b, auroral activity down here.

Most of my shots were to record the type of auroral display for the university climatology experts and capture the very rapid pulses etc, rather than make a more longer exposure picturesque type of image. I agree, with my very short exposures, the images are more 'grainy' but it is accuracy I am after.

However, with the various cameras I have since 2006 accumulated, will be able to do a much wider ranger, including longer exposure shots.

I am always checking solar activity on SpaceWeather, plus I regularly observe the sun on a daily basis when possible, which lets me know what is likely. What I have noticed is that you seem to get more auroral activity up around your polar regions.

It is good to exchange ideas and experiences.

Clear skies...

Thanks Shevill,

I would have never thought that a modified camera would affect the outcome of Aurora images. But thinking it over i'm guessing mods affect images of any sort, hence the Auroras as well. In your experience is this modification advantageous for capturing Auroras? I'm looking to modify a Canon 20D that will be purchased in the near future but would like to make optimum use of it, and as you mentioned the phenomenon is fairly frequent in Northern Canada. And besides, i'm presuming the normally frigid temperatures of our winters ranging from -15c to -35c would serve well at naturally cooling the camera and eliminating some noise.

Cheers.

Auroral Displays

Hi, Saj,

What got me thinking about aurora and a modified DSLR was that, for many years I have been able to observe aurora with a filterless sensitive B&W video camera, when these events have been invisible to the naked eye. I routinely do a quick scan to the south on any clear dark night. From Hobart we have a clear over the sea uninterrupted view to Antarctica. They get fantastic displays down there, as you can imagine.

Some years back, I wrote an article for a glossy magazine called "40 Degrees South", on the 'Aurora Australis" which proved immensely popular, and some of my aurora images now appear on various tourist websites from Tasmania to Japan. I am always asked to give illustrated talks to various groups on the topic.

http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/senior/cosmicengine/sun_earth.html

http://www.leatherwoodonline.com/index.php/weblog/comments/a-special-night/

I have even taken digital camera images when I thought I could just perceive some activity and the camera has recorded an auroral glow. So now I am just waiting to see what I can do with my variously modified cameras. I check every night before I turn in, but being little solar activity, I am not surprised.

A very interesting topic though and well worth pursuing. Digital cameras are very sensitive compared to the naked eye - especially at the red end.

Clear skies...